1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

1. patsy56

patsy56 Registered User

Jan 14, 2015
    Fife Scotland
    I am putting this Q? here as/because I fear/know that OH, although diagnosed with Parkinson's, is now going the dementia route.

As I mentioned a while back the heating, he thought that there was something wrong with it. We got it checked and new thermostat fitted.

Now I can't remember if I read something on here, or whether it was on the internet, but dry eyes are a symptom of dementia, is this correct.

Not expecting too much response but it is niggling my brain.

2. lin1

lin1 Registered User

Jan 14, 2010
    Female
    East Kent
    Hi. Its not a symptom that I am aware of but I could be wrong.

3. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    Don't know either
    but dad has Parkinson's also, along with the dementia, and regularly says his eyes 'aren't right', rubbing them and trying to get something out, which isn't there.
    I've wondered about using one of those sprays that spray onto the closed eyelid but haven't yet remembered to take one in to his home.

4. patsy56

patsy56 Registered User

Jan 14, 2015
    Fife Scotland
    was wondering about that too, he says itchy scratchy eyes.

5. patsy56

patsy56 Registered User

Jan 14, 2015
    Fife Scotland
    see I can't remember where I saw and read either.........

6. patsy56

patsy56 Registered User

Jan 14, 2015
    Fife Scotland
  7. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
    I doubt it as many older people suffer from it and hope not as I do too, after an eye operation last year!

8. marionq

marionq Registered User

Apr 24, 2013
    Female
    Scotland
    John has glaucoma and as well as the drops to treat it he is prescribed Hylocare which is for the general health of eye care. You might want to let your GP prescribe something suitable as it must be annoying for your husband.

9. patsy56

patsy56 Registered User

Jan 14, 2015
    Fife Scotland
    Yes B has that too, I must get something soon

10. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    There are loads of different brands/types of artificial tears and most of them can be bought over the counter too.
    You can get watery eye drops type that are good for general use, but if the eyes are very dry you can get the gel type. The only problem with these is that they do blur the vision for a while (they cause a "greasy" film over the front of the eye) and are best used at night. If you find one brand doesnt work - try another. Pharmacists are usually pretty knowledgeable.

11. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
    After my operation for glaucoma in one eye, it is very dry and gritty.
    I have 2 different types of lubricating drops to use for it. One sort 4 times a day and the other as many times as I need to use them.
    I found the gel ones were harder to get into my eye as the get attached itself to my eyelash whereas the wetter ones will go in more easily.

12. NanLorac

NanLorac Registered User

May 14, 2012
    Female
    Scotland
    Patsy my husband has had dry eye for a few months and I put Lacri-lube eye ointment in his eyes morning and night. As you live in Scotland you can get a pricription from an optician. A chemist might be able to put you in touch with an optician that does this service tomorrow. I was told that it could be the blower in the car or because he sits near the radiator in the house that's causing the dry eye.

13. patsy56

patsy56 Registered User

Jan 14, 2015
    Fife Scotland
    now I will look into that on Tuesday , Monday local holiday, thank you.

14. patsy56

patsy56 Registered User

Jan 14, 2015
    Fife Scotland
    #14 patsy56, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2018
    Yes was thinking that too and LBD, but kassy I hope not, we get the Parkinson's mags 1/4ly and they mentioned that Parkinson's can be heditory, I do so hope they are wrong.

15. NanLorac

NanLorac Registered User

May 14, 2012
    Female
    Scotland
    My husbands eyes have deteriorated quite a bit since he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. He has type 2 diabetes and gets his eyes checked at the clinic and there is no diabetes changes to his eyes. Last year I found out he now has cataracts in both eyes. As if things were not difficult enough.

16. Canadian Joanne

Canadian Joanne Volunteer Moderator

Apr 8, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I have very dry eyes and have had them for several years now. It's worse in the winter with the artificial heat. All I do is put drops in several times a day, as often as I feel necessary. I actually try to put them in before I feel the need. This was recommended to me by my optometrist and works well for me.