Drugs and Vascular Dementia

marts1711

Oct 25, 2014
I am finding this forum very helpful

My latest gripe about dads care is this......

My dad has vascular dementia (amongst numerous other ailments). He is in an EMI nursing home. A few months ago a GP started him on Mirtazapine as his mood is very low. He cries a lot and says he feels ill all the time. He has started asking for his mum which is very distressing for us. We have had to CPN review this drug and she felt that dad was not in a true depression but more that his low mood is part of his dementia.
Last week we also found out that another GP has now prescribed him Zopiclone (without our knowledge I might add, and we have LPA's!!!!) as he is awake for a lot of the night and wanders around the nursing home. He has been on this Zopiclone for 3 weeks now and it has had no affect. So last Friday my sister went to see this GP and told him we want him off both drugs. To cut a long story short, the GP argued that these two drugs will slow down the progression of his dementia?????
Personally I think this GP doesn't have a clue. My understanding is Zopiclone can only be taken for very short periods of time and I have read the NHS guide lines for who should be prescribed it and it clearly states that caution should be used in those over 80 (he is 82) those with heart conditions and kidney disease.. He has both.
How can I get my father off these drugs? I feel the NH is just trying to dope him up to give themselves a quieter life.:mad:

Any views would be appreciated.
Thanks

Acco

Oct 3, 2011
Take any documents you have or get hold off identifying the prescribing details for the drugs, and L.A.P, to the G.P. and if he doesn't respond as you think fit ask for an immediate second opinion from another G.P. I wish you well in your endeavours. Sorry but I do not have any experience or knowledge of that medication.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Slow down the progression of his Dementia !!!? Mum has been on both of these, as I understand it, one is to help break Insomnia/ help to sleep and the other is an anti depressant. We have seen every gp at our medical centre and all in a roundabout way have said Dementia usually brings on depression and so that's why they prescribe anti depressants, never said it slows it down. Think you need to talk to another gp.

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
my MIL has been given both these at different times she lives with us and the Zopline stopped working to trying the other one .It is s we hope she stops wondering around at night .our GP said they would not be used ina home as they have 24/7 staff but we do need sleep.

Mollygoose

Dec 19, 2014
Lincolnshire
My mother is 89yrs Young and has dementia ! She has short term memory and has carers in 3times a day ! She has side effects with every drug tried ! So I have decided let nature do what it needs to do ! She has been far better without any treatment ! So are drugs doing more harm than good ! I wonder !

Suzanna1969

Mar 28, 2015
Essex
Mum is on Citilopram and still spends the first few hours of most days sobbing inconsolably. The slightest thing sets her off. This morning it was because we couldn't find the instruction manual for the 25 year old washing machine.

Dad (who has Vascular Parkinson's) is on Citilopram too, plus others. Seriously I could use them as a pair of maracas. Dad has said several times he wonders what would happen if they both just stopped taking all their drugs. I said 'Well you'd probably both have major strokes which would render you incapable of wiping your own bums so I'd have to do it' which put a stop to that nonsense. Although I do sometimes wonder if the drugs are doing them any favours.

You trust doctors to have their interests at heart but not always, huh?

Last edited:

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
I'm trying to get the doctors to put my father on medication for his continual anxiety. Sometimes there's some basis in reality for his various concerns (although inflated) and sometimes entirely fictional. He's aged 89, so why not give him something to stop the continuous fretting?

DaBu79

Apr 17, 2015
My dad is on Sertraline and Epilem, they are the most common drugs used for low mood and depression caused by dementia.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Naomi's Mum

Sep 26, 2016
Citilopram

My Dad (92 with alzheimers) was put on this drug went very sleepy and was taken off. but I expect he will again become depressed. did you get anywhere with your Dad?

I'm trying to get the doctors to put my father on medication for his continual anxiety. Sometimes there's some basis in reality for his various concerns (although inflated) and sometimes entirely fictional. He's aged 89, so why not give him something to stop the continuous fretting?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi Naomi's Mum
just to let you know that the last post to this tread was in April 2015, though RedLou still posts and others may well be able to help you out
you can see when a post was added by looking above the username of each post
I don't have any knowledge of the drug in your title
best wishes

Last edited: