Drug Impact hailed

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi all,

The BBC News this morning had a story about the test results, on patients who had been taking medication. It appears that the tests proved that there were up to a 70% reduction in the proteins in the brains of those in the trial.
This has to be a good sign for those who are diagnosed with Dementia in the future.
It has come at a time when we are getting close to the Judicial Review and it must help tip the balance. We all know that not all medications work for everyone but surely we must get back to the position where a patient is given the chance of medication irrespective of the cost and no matter what the disease.

I know that results of these tests can not be done till a person has sadly died, but hopefully after todays results we are going in the right direction.
I have campaigned for this medication in the media on many occassions and I hope that one day we can all focus on a different campaign for the same people.

Best Wishes

Ken

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`ve just seen the lunchtime news Ken with the same report.

I`m so sorry the drugs didn`t agree with my husband. His face lit up when he heard the news and I had to tell him he`d already been prescribed these elusive drugs, which unfortunately disagrreed with him.

But there`s hope for others. :)

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
It makes me sick to my stomach to think that my Dad would have been denied these drugs, had he been diagnosed as little as three months later than he actually was.

I remember at the time the consultant and memory nurse saying they were absolutely flooded with referrals from GP's who were trying to get their patients receiving the treatment ahead of "NICE"'s deadlines. Oh the irony in that name.

In the meanwhile I see that a nearby PCT is spending £1.4 million on a "complementary therapy and wellbeing centre". Whilst not wishing to denigrate this, it does make you wonder about how things get prioritised in the NHS.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
It appears that the tests proved that there were up to a 70% reduction in the proteins in the brains of those in the trial.

So what does that mean to a person with AZ ?
Who take medication or not

That it give them more time , slow it down ?

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Only thing is with Exbiza I think it would be of better use in the mild stages, then only giving it to them in the last stages.

As my mother was in the late stages double incontinent, no understanding of her sounding, getting me confused with someone ales.

When given medication, she still needed help with all her psychical needs, even thought she stop becoming incontinent, her awareness came back, not her logical understanding.

So now the medication is slowing not working, and she realizing that something is wrong with her, more so them before medication so we are going through it all over again, this time with mum knowing something is wrong with her, I know lots of people are in that position knowing what going to happen if they have AZ, but for me the career seeing this twice happening to my mother is a nightmare.

It would have been better if my mother had been given this medication in the early / mild stages, they should do trails for exbixa in those stages to slowly take them into the last stages, why give a drug that work so good for my mother in the late stages, when its all to late anyway.

Cheaper I suppose then putting mum in a care home in late stages, so give her Exbixa

Give mum exbixa in early stages and it would of cost the NHS to much money.

If you can afford to give exbiza privets in the early mild stages, and your doctor / consultant, says its ok. Give it to them don’t wait to its all to late in late stages and let them suffer it twice the late stages

I do hope I do not sound negative, as all I am doing is being realistic

Last edited: