Droopy mouth

Louisek100

Sep 27, 2012
Hi

This is the first time I have posted a question on here ,despite my husband having early onset and suffering for approx. 11years.
He is in a care home , unable to feed himself, is incontinent, has no cognition and although he says words nothing makes any sense.

He currently keeps dropping into deep sleeps although the nurse says he is lively in the mornings, the right side of his mouth is also droopy and he doesn't use his right arm very much. They have had the GP to see him a couple of times but he says he cant find anything wrong with him (I though he could have suffered a stroke). He has also had a couple of falls recently

Does this sound familiar to anyone?, I of course realise it could just be that he has had a severe dip in his journey with dementia but would hate to think he needs further medical attention and isn't getting it.

They have taken him off his Memantine and reduced his Sodium Valproate by half to see if it reduces the sleep issue and stops the falls.

Thanks in advance.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
so sorry to hear your husband is so unwell.
The drooping mouth and the right arm movement are typical of a stroke - it could be a TIA which is like a mini stroke and typical in vascular dementia but I'm surprised the GP hasn't picked it up if it is. Have you been there when the GP visited and just asked him the question directly?

angiebails

Oct 8, 2009
crewe
I have just come back from the neurologist as my husband has stiffness in his right arm and doesn't use it much, the doctor also picked up on a facial droop and his walking is different so they have suggested an onset of Parkinson's which can be brought on by his medication. They are sending him to a physiotherapist to see if they can get his movement better in his arm and also to improve his walking.
It could be a Tia or possibly something else so I would get another appointment and make sure you are with him to discuss it as there could be something they could do.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi Louisek
Though I am no medic , I am sorry to say it does sound like a stroke or TIA to me.
You are obviously very worried , it might help if you arranged to speak to the GP.

cobden28

Jan 31, 2012
It sounds like a TIA - mini-stroke - to me also. I've had one that affected me in exactly the same way you describe, but you do need to get your husband to a hospital for this to be properly checked out and confirmed.