Driving with altzheimers

Gingerbread

Nov 21, 2016
An elderly member of my family has been diagnosed with mild altzheimers and has benn put on medication. We know she should contact the DVLA, but she dosnt like the idea of losing her licence and blames me for making her go to the doctors. she dosnt think she has a problem. She lives on her own and i am not her carer, she hasnt got and wont have one, but should i contact the DVLA or try and coax her to, as i dont want to see her get into trouble.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
A diagnosis of dementia does not mean that a person is incapable of driving.

Is the diagnosis dementia or MCI?

The person diagnosed should contact the DVLA and their insurers.
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/20030/staying_independent/27/driving/2

Anybody can anonymously report their concerns to the DVLA

https://emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emaildvla/cegemail/dvla/en/drivers_med_03.html

Are you able to contact the GP?
(S)he will not be able to discuss details but could well give 'general advice'

missmole

Feb 16, 2017
how is her driving?

An elderly member of my family has been diagnosed with mild altzheimers and has benn put on medication. We know she should contact the DVLA, but she dosnt like the idea of losing her licence and blames me for making her go to the doctors. she dosnt think she has a problem. She lives on her own and i am not her carer, she hasnt got and wont have one, but should i contact the DVLA or try and coax her to, as i dont want to see her get into trouble.

My mum was never the best of drivers and continued to drive very short distances when she had mild dementia. She then would just go to the supermarket on a Sunday morning and park in the car park before the store opened. Fortunately, one day when the car was parked outside her house (no-one in it) a lorry drove into it and it was a right-off. It was awful for my mum to lose her independence but a relief for me. The problem with people who have dementia, in my experience, is their lack of awareness. If you are worried perhaps you could either talk to her doctor in confidence or the DVLA. Imagine if a child ran out in front of the car and your relative was unable to react quickly enough. This is what I said to my mum and that prompted her to only drive on Sunday morning when very few cars were on the road.

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
I had this problem with Dad hoping that someone would intervene and get Dad off the road. The hospital had already asked him not to drive anymore. Sadly I realised it was down to me. As close relative you know better than anyone else when you start to have concerns. In the end I had a row with Dad and we never ever argue. I frogmarched him to GP and had fantastic supportive GP who tested Dad and explained in no uncertain terms why he shouldn't be driving anymore. I wrote to DVLA , Insurer and re registered car to me. It was soon forgotten by all. If Dad had carried on driving and killed a little girl it would not have been such a happy ending. It is down to you to stop it when you feel it is unsafe however best way you see fit. I would suggest a phone call to GP and asking for support first before making appointment.
Good Luck

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
As nitram has said, if there is a diagnosis it is notifiable to DVLA and the insurance co.

We only fully realised my mum had dementia when she got lost on the way from her house to mine, she missed the M6 turn off the M1 and ended up in Derby. I suspect she nearly went the wrong way down a dual carriageway in Derby because over the next few days she kept repeating that she wouldn't have driven the wrong way down the dual carriageway. Needless to say once we had rescued her (and her car a few days later - it wasn't actually insured - long story - xmas was in the middle) I never let her near the car keys again.

6 months before this I was very worried by her driving and took her for an eyetest, which she passed with the glasses she used for driving.

What I hadn't realised was her spatial awareness wasn't working anymore, and hadn't been for some time, hindsight is a wonderful thing. We had watched her cross the road without appearing to see cars and that is why.

With hindsight my mum had diagnosable Alzheimer's at least 4 years before the crisis hit, and for the first 2 of those years she was safe to drive, but the second 2 years she wasn't. The crisis that hit was quite big (state of house due to hoarding - we never let her go back etc) but the thing that kept me awake on and off for months was the fact I had let her drive with my children in the car when she wasn't safe to do so (and in fact wasn't even insured - yes there was court action in progress on that as well).

If you are concerned your PWD isn't safe to drive, please stop them driving any way you can. As others have said you wouldn't want them to injure a child.

There are assessment centres and if they pass the test then they can carry on driving. Many safely do in the early stages.

There are many driving threads on here, and DVLA and GPs are sometimes helpful and sometimes not.

Herewego

Mar 9, 2017
Easier said than done............

I have seen this coming since 2011 but as we are only now going through the testing phase, we don't yet have a diagnosis, so stopping my husband driving is not yet something we have to do BUT............

The problem is that he doesn't admit he has a problem with driving although we have finally got him to admit he does have a problem with his memory.

In early 2016 he drove into our house with one of our cars and knocked a hole in the front wall and did a lot of damage to the house - just thankful no one was home at the time so no one was hurt and he was shaken up but not hurt.

In 2011 we took an extended trip and normally he would drive both in the UK and abroad, but that trip I did all the driving with the exception of 2 short periods when I agreed to let him do a little driving. Now if we are together I always drive - any driving he does now is really just very short local trips to the shops or parks to walk the dog and only on his own.

Part of the problem is that we got a new car in 2015 and another one at the end of 2016 (almost like for like replacement of the car we had that he hit the house with) but switching between cars he struggles to remember where things are or how to do things. On the 2015 car he has never used the in car satnav as he just can't remember how to use it.

Our kids won't go in the car if he is driving and we won't let him drive the grandkids anywhere anymore.

My dilemma is at what point do I just tell him he can not drive anymore and we inform the relevant bodies - I just don't think he will accept it until we have a diagnosis even tho' I personally really don't think he should be driving anymore.

As he is quite bright, he seems to be able to hide his symptoms so on the memory test at the GP's and the first one at the memory clinic, he probably would have not been sent for the scan if I had not sent a letter to the clinic before we attended which detailed all of the various areas where we as a family have seen a deterioration. We are now going for another test which is apparently designed for those that might otherwise not be diagnosed because they are bright and for short periods are able to do the tests well enough so as to miss the diagnosis of Alzheimers. I am hoping that this will pick it up as even since the previous test about 2 months ago I have noticed a further deterioration of his memory.

Last edited:

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I think that if you think that it is not safe for your grandchildren to be in the car when your PWD is driving then he should not be driving at all.

Eighteen months before he was diagnosed, I refused to be a passenger in the car when OH was driving because it frightened me. I reported him to our local licensing authority who sent out a form for our doctor to complete. Unfortunately our GP could only comment on the state of OH's health and not on his driving. This was totally unsatisfactory of course and I tried all sorts of things to prevent him from driving. Not long after and prior to his diagnosis, he had a cardiac arrest and was banned from driving for six months. But then he was diagnosed with AD and the geriatrician then was obliged to make a more extensive report and he had to undergo a thorough assessment which resulted in the loss of his licence.

I was so relieved that I wasn't the one that had to force the issue.

oilovlam

Aug 2, 2015
South East
It's a crazy system. The onus is on the family....again!! But family members don't want to be seen as the 'bad' people and will let things continue too far. They probably don't even inform the insurance company, so there are people with dementia who are driving and likely a risk to the public....and uninsured (when there is an accident and the insurance company find out about the diagnosis then they will refuse to pay up).

Really there needs to be some way, that when you are diagnosed the ability to drive is monitored on a statutory basis. The only problem is that this would be another reason to put people off getting diagnosed. I wonder what they do in other countries?

My mum was diagnosed. She had a 'bump' in a car park. The family could see the danger to the public, but couldn't face falling out with our mother....so we got the 'Old People Mental Health' consultant to tell her. He reluctantly came to the house (he really didn't want to do it) in his 'hob-nailed boots' to tell her she couldn't drive. She hated him from that moment...."coming into my house with his 'hob-nailed boots'".....but at least it wasn't us she fell out with.

nmintueo

Jun 28, 2011
UK
It's a crazy system. The onus is on the family....again!! But family members don't want to be seen as the 'bad' people and will let things continue too far.

Doctors put the onus on the family when they refuse to adhere to ethical guidance in relation to notifiable conditions, such as Alzheimers or MCI (previous post). People who find themselves put in a difficult position as a result should not stand for it.

danonwheels

Apr 13, 2016
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
As others have said, a diagnosis doesn't necessarily mean the person can't drive, but they DO have to inform DVLA and their insurer.

Last year i was diagnosed in February and DVLA were notified. They then took the decision to revoke my license with no assessment. An appeal was made but they stuck to their guns.

Later in the year it was found that DVLA were revoking a large number of licenses from people with medical conditions without following their own procedures and they were taken to task over it.

I made a complaint round about September after being urged by my brother and in November went to an assessment centre and was assessed. I was found to be fit to drive and given my license back.

Morty

Dec 13, 2016
Southeast Ireland
Timing of taking car away is tricky,with Dad i had to take car off him when he parked directly infront of supermarket main frontdoor as he casyally went in to buy his butterscotch sweets and apple pies ,he took to driving quite freely through roundabouts also just before that,i was his carer and was with him in car but enough was enough,tbh he forgot about car quite quickly ,you have to laugh or its unbearable..

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
I have seen this coming since 2011 but as we are only now going through the testing phase, we don't yet have a diagnosis, so stopping my husband driving is not yet something we have to do BUT............

The problem is that he doesn't admit he has a problem with driving although we have finally got him to admit he does have a problem with his memory.

In early 2016 he drove into our house with one of our cars and knocked a hole in the front wall and did a lot of damage to the house - just thankful no one was home at the time so no one was hurt and he was shaken up but not hurt.

In 2011 we took an extended trip and normally he would drive both in the UK and abroad, but that trip I did all the driving with the exception of 2 short periods when I agreed to let him do a little driving. Now if we are together I always drive - any driving he does now is really just very short local trips to the shops or parks to walk the dog and only on his own.

Part of the problem is that we got a new car in 2015 and another one at the end of 2016 (almost like for like replacement of the car we had that he hit the house with) but switching between cars he struggles to remember where things are or how to do things. On the 2015 car he has never used the in car satnav as he just can't remember how to use it.

Our kids won't go in the car if he is driving and we won't let him drive the grandkids anywhere anymore.

My dilemma is at what point do I just tell him he can not drive anymore and we inform the relevant bodies - I just don't think he will accept it until we have a diagnosis even tho' I personally really don't think he should be driving anymore.

As he is quite bright, he seems to be able to hide his symptoms so on the memory test at the GP's and the first one at the memory clinic, he probably would have not been sent for the scan if I had not sent a letter to the clinic before we attended which detailed all of the various areas where we as a family have seen a deterioration. We are now going for another test which is apparently designed for those that might otherwise not be diagnosed because they are bright and for short periods are able to do the tests well enough so as to miss the diagnosis of Alzheimers. I am hoping that this will pick it up as even since the previous test about 2 months ago I have noticed a further deterioration of his memory.

If your OH doesn't have a diagnosis, first thing is it.

Give details of his behaviour to GP, maybe a diary. It may help GP to see trough hostess mode

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Roseleigh

Dec 26, 2016

Have you tried discussing it with him? He may be more amenable to stopping than you think. If not then jut tell the GP that you feel he is no longer safe to drive and the GP will inform the DVLA. I presume he is already on a one year medical license following diagnosis. My husband is on a one year license but in last couple of months Ive stopped him driving as I feel he is more confused and although he could drive as your
DH can on a quiet familiar route still, the judgement isnt there if anything unexpected happened.

Last edited:

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
We were advised by the memory clinic to inform the DVLA, which we did. They put my husband on a one year licence. I discussed with him the possibilities of him having an accident and he said he felt he was fine to drive. At this point he was only driving very local. After a while I became more unhappy as a passenger and one day we had a near miss. When we reached home I took and hid his car keys. He was a bit upset for a while but I soon discovered that actually he was relieved. He just didn't want to admit he wasn't up to it.

Herewego

Mar 9, 2017
Sorry for taking so long to update you all on my OH.

He was diagnoised with dementia (as expected) in the middle of 2017 and the Memory Clinic Dr told him at the meeting where he was given the diagnosis that he should stop driving immediately and that he had to tell the DVLA.

Both of which he did - he was adamant that he did not feel he should stop driving and while the DVLA came back saying he must stop driving and revoked his licence, he was determined to get it back.

We paid for a private assessment which was very thorough and included an off road driving assessment and they basically said that while he could do some things well, others were poor and that he should not be driving.

My OH was pleased that he had been assessed, was not sure at all they were right but it did help him come to terms with not driving. He continued to discuss and try to find ways to reverse the decision (as he still does occassionally) but it is the focus of his efforts less and less these days.

The problem was that my OH had a friend that had recently been diagnoised with Parkinson's who also had his licence taken away but had hired a lawyer and was confident that he would get it back. My OH believed that his friends physically issues were much worse than his memory issues so if his friend could get his licence back then my OH was convinced that he should be able to as well.

Thie driving issue has been my OH's biggest issue with regard to his memory loss - he does not seem to think about/discuss anything else about it and what the future holds, even tho' having been through this with his mom, he should know/be aware of what this means.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Thank you for that update @Herewego
I think driving is the thing that causes so much upset and is the hardest to let go of. It is particularly hard because many (most?) PWDs are not aware of their problems (anosognosia) and think that they are perfectly OK, the dementia has not affected them and that they are capable of driving - even when it is patently obvious to onlookers that they are not. I think this is because, not only does it affect their sense of independence, but it is often the only thing that has outside verification of their abilities - no one has a licence to take a shower or cook dinner and these things disappear without notice, but withdrawal of a driving license tells the PWD that people think they are incapable of something they used to do.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
I realize when and Only when you have a Medical condition that the DVLA deems may affect you ability to drive Its your responsibility to inform them But Dementia’s and yes dementia is one of those conditions but it doesn’t mean you can No longer drive. The Medical list is very long do everyone inform DVLA ?? my guess in they do not remember we can just pick on the one medical condition and ignore the rest

You can be fined up to £1,000 if you don’t tell DVLA about a medical condition that affects your driving. You may be prosecuted if you’re involved in an accident as a result. You must give up your licence if either: your doctor tells you to stop driving for 3 months or more you don’t meet the required standards for driving because of your medical condition
THE LIST
A Absence seizures Acoustic neuroma Addison’s disease Agoraphobia AIDS
Alcohol problems Alzheimer’s disease Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Amputations
Angina Angioma Angioplasty Ankylosing spondylitis Anorexia nervosa Anxiety
Aortic aneurysm Arachnoid cyst Arnold-Chiari malformation Arrhythmia Atrial defibrillator Arteriovenous malformation Arthritis Asperger syndrome Ataxia
Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) Autistic spectrum disorders (ASD)
B Balloon angioplasty (leg) Bipolar disorder Blackouts Blepharospasm Blood clots
Blood pressure Brachial plexus injury Brain abscess, cyst or encephalitis Brain aneurysm
Brain angioma Brain haemorrhage Brain injury (traumatic) Brain tumours Branch retinal vein occlusion Broken limbs and driving Burr hole surgery
C Caesarean section Cancer Cataracts Catheter ablation Cardiac problems Carotid artery stenosis Cataplexy Cerebral palsy Chronic aortic dissection Cognitive problems
Congenital heart disease Convulsions Coronary artery bypass or disease Coronary angioplasty Cystic fibrosis
D Deafness Defibrillator Déjà vu Dementia Depression Diabetes Diabetic retinopathy
Dilated cardiomyopathy Diplopia (double vision) Dizziness Drug misuse
E Eating disorders Empyema (brain) Epilepsy Essential tremor
F Fainting Fits Fractured skull Friedreich’s ataxia
G Giddiness (recurring) Glaucoma Global amnesia Grand mal seizures Guillain-Barré syndrome
H Head injury Heart attack Heart arrhythmia Heart failure Heart murmurs Heart palpitations Heart valve disease or replacement valve Hemianopia High blood pressure
HIV Hodgkin’s lymphoma Huntington’s disease Hydrocephalus Hypertension
Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy Hypoglycaemia Hypoxic brain damage Hysterectomy
I Implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) Intracerebral haemorrhage Ischaemic heart disease
K Kidney dialysis Kidney problems Korsakoff’s syndrome
L Labyrinthitis Learning difficulties Left bundle branch block Leukaemia
Lewy body dementia Limb disability Low blood sugar Lumboperitoneal shunt
Lung cancer Lymphoma

Part to to follow

dbrilyant

Sep 14, 2014
I took some driving lessons when first diagnosed which built up my confidence. The DVLA then refused to licence me anyway but my specialist said I could still cycle. So now I am pretty fit and entering the RideLondon in aid of Alzheimer!s Society.

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
I took some driving lessons when first diagnosed which built up my confidence. The DVLA then refused to licence me anyway but my specialist said I could still cycle. So now I am pretty fit and entering the RideLondon in aid of Alzheimer!s Society.
Wow good for you! Do you have a donation page set up anywhere? When is the ride? Good luck :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968