driving tests

Jodie Lucas

Dec 3, 2005
Eastbourne
Hi everyone,

My mum has managed to arrange an on road driving test for my gran for 6th october. Just a reminder my gran was diagnosed with vascular dementia three years ago but has had memory problems for at least a year- 18 months. Her licence expires in december and my gran has seemed to accept that the dvla must be informed of her diagnosis. Has anyone else had any experience of these on road driving tests? I was wondering whether the dvla would still renew her licence if she passes?

Any advice/experiences would be greatly recieved

Thanks

Jodie x

Kate P

Jul 6, 2007
Merseyside
I can't tell you what will happen but I just wanted to say well done!! That's a real achievement given how reluctant your gran was to accept things.:)

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Jodie, what your mum has done is marvellous.

Will face the same with Dee, my wife next year. She still wants to drive but 'tis impossible.

Lots of for"s and against"s with elderly driving tests anyway but with AD it has to
be yes or preferably, surrender the licence.

Thanks for raising it

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Jodie

John lost his licence when he was diagnosed, the consultant notified DVLA. After six months on reminyl he had improved so much that we applied for him to get it back. He didn't have to take a test, just the consultant had to sign to say he was OK to drive again. He had to renew it every year, and the consultant had to sign every time, but he continued to drive for three years.

I know you're anxious about your gran's driving, so you'll just have to hope she's not having a good day when she takes the test.

Good luck,

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Will it be a test or an assessment? There seems to be a difference, although I'm not sure what that difference is. A search of the DVLA site indicates that the committee that deals with this issue takes the position that the assessment should be only part of decision making process, but I don't know whether their opinion has any authority.

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
When Peter started doing "silly" things before diagnoises . With driving, he would stop on green, proceed on red, loose sense of directions. At the time of diagnoises the Consultant told me Peter could not drive again. Although it was hard for Peter having to sell his car, it was a great relief for me as he was a danger on the roads. That left me with my Mobility Car. Each time I took Peter out he still went to sit driver side. I explained after all his years of driving it was my turn to drive him around. I have always been honest with Peter regarding A.D. and he was relieved at diagnoises that he did have something wrong with him that made sense to all the things he was experiencing. Although he did get upset with his car going, he did undestand at the time . I had Epilepsy for quite a few years and I was not allowed to drive. Had 3 year check and on medication and having no attacks, only then was I given a license. I know it is hard when they want to retain some independence but it is a difficult situation when dealing with A.D./ Dementia. Good luck. Christine

will

Sep 24, 2007
driving test

Hi Guys, this is my first time so I hope it works ok!

My Dad was diagnosed with Vascular Dementia about 4 years ago. Hs driving has gradually become more and more erratic but Mum was determined hat he should carry on as it was so important to him.

The consultant informed dvla as to his condition (I think this is a legal requirement) and he was called to the local test centre in Leeds about 3 weeks ago. There were two parts to the assessment. About an hour and a half of tests, testing memory, concentration and ability to react to instructions, followed by an hours drive in a dual control car with a driving instructor and the medical assessor. Although it said in the bumf that there would not be a decision that day, there was, he was stopped from driving and he went mental, but of course had forgotton that he had been assessed only 10 minutes beofre - alll very ugly. He'd then fortgotton about this when we returned to the car and we went though it all again - and although the anger is lessening, everytime it comes to going out in the car it blows up again.

Hope this helps Jodie and if anyone has any advice about how to handle the problem that would be great.

Thanks for reading

Will

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Dear Will welcome to Talking Point

Thanks for posting the information. If you search the boards you'll see that this is a frequent problem. I assume that you Mother is now the driver in the family? Because the "usual" advice is to get rid of the car, and that's obviously not going to work for you. Hopefully others who have been there may be able to give you some suggestions to pass on to your mother, but I suppose in the final analysis all you can do is keep refusing to let him drive (and make sure he doen't have access to the keys).

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Here in Australia we faced a test with Dad who, altho' not diagnosed with AD, was a TERRIBLE driver, esp. in the latter years. At his test, the tester did much the same things - altho' it was a driving instructor only and Dad drove his own car.

When we got back to the RTA we waited for ages (nearly an hour) then we were told that Dad would have to go onto a Learners License again. Dad, who was convinced he still drove perfectly :eek: was shocked and furious and refused to accept the inevitable.

I then arranged for him to have sessions with a driving instructor (at Dad's request). He had one, then gave the lessons up.

Because Dad learnt to drive in the pre-driving school days, he had lots of bad habits from the beginning!! When the instructor tried to teach him how to drive "properly" Dad was just too set in his ways to cope.

Dad died just three months later. It was very hard for him to give up his precious car as he LOVED driving. Just another sad stage in life, unfortunately.

Jodie, I hope you will find it easier to manage, for everyone's sake. Thinking of you.