Driving - orginally posted on 30/08/11

Gill 1

Aug 26, 2011
Good morning

Just to update everyone who replied to my orginal thread, I have spoken to my mum about giving up driving and she almost looked relieved that I had brought the subject up. I explained to her about incidents which had happened recently, my concerns about her safety. I spoke to her about how she would feel if she injured someone or even herself. I told her I was concerned if her car broke, what would she do, and the plain and simple answer is that she wouldn't know what to do although she has breakdown cover.

We spoke about a new way of travelling, that all the activities she attends, she will still be able to do. She is still very active, walking, dancing and singing. I feel this is more important than her driving!

Her car insurance is due for renewal and this gives a natural end.

Many thanks to you all for your support

Love

Gill

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
Thanks for that feedback. We so often hear about the battles and denials, but your mum clearly has very good insight into what is happening. Lovely how you could plan together for her to still lead a full and active life.

Sue xx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Thanks for letting us know. Well done to you for dealing with this and your Mother for accepting it :):).

Best wishes

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Well done !

Hello Gill , Thank you for the New Driving Up Date & so pleased :) for you & your Mum that " your little Talk " to your Mum went well :) Its good your Mum understands that its best not to Drive . Hope your Mum does not have many problems getting around to all her Activities :)

Only wish in my Dad's case it had turned out as :) for him to stop Driving ....... It was Mum ( who understandably ) cos of being :( could not explain to Dad that he had to stop ). Mum left it for me :eek: to sort it out via the G P & DVLA ......

Dad has Moderate Dementia . Luckly Mum can Drive & they live near a good Bus / Train Service :) Dad is ok about not Driving

Best Wishes to you & your Mum

Love Grove x x

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tinydaffodil