DRIVING.....me nuts !

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi Maryw if you're husband want to drive he can whilst he is waiting for the dvla to make a decision you can carry on driving you could ask them for a letter of entitlement this while you're waiting this could be faxed or emailed , and if you're not happy with their decision challenge them in Court But make sure you have carried out driving assessments and have support and backing from you're G.P or Consultant they can’t take away you're license just because you may have a medical condition unless you're medical condition renders you incapable

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Well the DVLA seem intent on keeping people off the roads. My husband had a driving assessment on the advice of his GP way back in March. He passed it and when the detailed results came through early April we sent them on to DVLA medical dept for further review as advised. One month later no news so I Emailed to be told they had not received it. Fortunately the tracking no from the registered post confirmed it had been received in Swansea April 9th. They found it and said it was now in a queue for medical review. 5 weeks later still no response so tried to phone but they are not answering any calls!! So I Emailed again to learn it is still in a queue.....

Hi Maryw I dealt with dvla for years sent you a Private Message we have to make up our own minds on this and think positively

Tony

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
Thank you Tony, I have PM'd you. Slightly more complicated in my husband's case as the car needs mobility adaptations following his stroke and obviously we do not want to spend money on this to find licence is revoked ...

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Thank you Tony, I have PM'd you. Slightly more complicated in my husband's case as the car needs mobility adaptations following his stroke and obviously we do not want to spend money on this to find licence is revoked ...

thank you maryw I read your PM message and replied as you say different case altogether however I hope all go’s well for your husband I did reply to your PM
cheers Tony

Miners daughter

Jan 18, 2014
We are just waiting on the letter from the dvla to say that they are revoking dad's licence. Dad was at the memory clinic on Friday and I advised his consultant that they would be writing to her to enquire about his able ness for driving- she asked Did I have concerns myself for his driving , which I do and she said that she would reply to them saying that he should not be allowed to drive for his and others safety. Dad may be ok for a week or two but who knows what he would be like next week, month or in a couple of months time. When this letter comes thru if you listen carefully you may here the shouting from here!!!!! May even have to go down the route of trading in his car and mine for a new one as a "persuasion" to try and make it go smoothly, but of course I shall be the only one able to drive it and I shall hold the keys. Dear god somedays you feel like you are banging your head against the wall over it all xx

HV1

May 23, 2014
Ayrshire
We are just waiting on the letter from the dvla to say that they are revoking dad's licence. Dad was at the memory clinic on Friday and I advised his consultant that they would be writing to her to enquire about his able ness for driving- she asked Did I have concerns myself for his driving , which I do and she said that she would reply to them saying that he should not be allowed to drive for his and others safety. Dad may be ok for a week or two but who knows what he would be like next week, month or in a couple of months time. When this letter comes thru if you listen carefully you may here the shouting from here!!!!! May even have to go down the route of trading in his car and mine for a new one as a "persuasion" to try and make it go smoothly, but of course I shall be the only one able to drive it and I shall hold the keys. Dear god somedays you feel like you are banging your head against the wall over it all xx
Mums persistence over this is truly unbelievable. Will not accept aide memoire from gp listing medical reasons she is no longer safe. Told me tonight she was going to take some lessons and resit her test ! Still, I need to agree now as arguing is pointless and only upsets me . Spoke to a local taxi co today, so I gave her their card and that allows her some independence. Did ask the taxi co to alert me if she wanted to go to a car showroom though :)

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Obviously we each look at thing differently and if your unfortunate enough to had a dementia we all get a diagnoses at a different stage of the illness so I find it difficult to understand why a person who wanted to retain their driving licence would give consent or allow a family member to fill in application forms or speak to dvla , because it’s important to me I deal with it myself although I’m 100% certain my children would always support me , " they must remember I always helped and supported them "

Miners daughter

Jan 18, 2014
I am doing this for the safety of my father and those other people who drive on the road s or are passengers who do not deserve to be killed, maimed injured or traumatised by someone who will not take a telling that he is not allowed to driver for his or others safety!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I am doing this for the safety of my father and those other people who drive on the road s or are passengers who do not deserve to be killed, maimed injured or traumatised by someone who will not take a telling that he is not allowed to driver for his or others safety!!!!!

Couldn't agree more - my mum thinks she is safe to drive, is probably capable of filling in forms herself, but could easily cause a serious accident if she got behind the wheel.

She has no spacial awareness, but like many dementia sufferers thinks she can do things OK. I have seen her cross a road and nearly got knocked over at least 10 times. It was only for the quick thinking actions of the driver that she didn't.

I am doing my best to protect my mother, from herself as at her stage of the illness she has no comprehension of the danger she presents to herself or others.

It is called love - stopping someone driving. We actually do it because we love them and want them to be safe. I know how much my mum would love to drive, and if I thought it possible would make sure she could. But there comes a time, when a dementia sufferer is not aware of their abilities, that we have to take over that responsibility, just like I made sure my mum got anitbiotics today, when she has a sore toe, but doesn't think she needs to see a Dr.

Last edited by a moderator:

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
So my hubby received his licence today, approved by the DVLA medical board. Obviously a huge triumph for him, a worry for me. I will go with it but will not hesitate to contact the GP (again) if I find my life and others put at risk. He is aware of my feelings and knows his tiredness following stroke means his driving will be limited to short, local journeys. He will shortly be due for rigorous cognitive testing at the hospital where he is taking part in research re small vessel disease and I know that they would inform GP of any concerns. More than that I cannot do .. ..

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
So my hubby received his licence today, approved by the DVLA medical board. Obviously a huge triumph for him, a worry for me. I will go with it but will not hesitate to contact the GP (again) if I find my life and others put at risk. He is aware of my feelings and knows his tiredness following stroke means his driving will be limited to short, local journeys. He will shortly be due for rigorous cognitive testing at the hospital where he is taking part in research re small vessel disease and I know that they would inform GP of any concerns. More than that I cannot do .. ..

Well that some positive news on his driving licence and great that your supporting him maryw obviously this was a worry for you both and a persons independence is very important

Recent Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan