Driving license renewal

Star123

Dec 20, 2019
Hi, I'm new to this group and could do with some friendly advice.

One of my parents was diagnosed in June this year with Alzheimers something I was aware they had for 3 years. Sadly my family wouldnt address this until it became an issue that could no longer be ignored. After the intially tests and scan and formal diagnosis they had their driving license revoked by the Consultant, this has caused ongoing resentment since and is everyones fault with sadly no insight from my parent who believes their fine.

I can deal with all with their frustration. I offer lifts etc but I'm now horrified to learn that they have managed to write a letter to DVLA and had their license reinstated.
No theory test or examination has taken place and I cannot understand DVLA's lack of logic to this. So how do I stop them driving? I know they are totally unsafe driving and worry for their safety and the safety of other road users.

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
There does not seem to be any measures in place for driving with Dementia. My OH was on a yearly licence, but 2 years on has had it cancelled by DVLA. This is now causing no end of problems, and he wants to see his GP to see if he can revoke it. (Fat chance) but I think there ought to be some sort of driving test every year for them, as it would then be official. It seems to be a hit and miss between GP’s and consultants with no privacy for the family to voice their concerns. Maybe you could write to the DVLA and ask the question?

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I would urgently contact the consultant who initially revoked the licence so that he can contact DVLA.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Are you sure that its actually been reinstated and not just wishful thinking/rewriting of history/confabulation? Usually you would have to have a driving re-assessment to get your license back after it has been revoked.

If it really has been reissued you can report unsafe drivers to DVLA

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
Maybe you should try to read whatever letter they received from DVLA unless your parent can produce their “new” reissued licence? Maybe it is just wishful thinking on their part?

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
I feel I must reply to the thread in support of the people diagnosed with some form of mental illness which dementia is should automatically be classed as a second class citizen because thousands of Us with dementia who live well and still capable to Drive I was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in 1999 and FTD in 2003 and still hold a Full driving licence and drive here in UK and in Europe

if you concerns about someone driving ok stop them by all means but please don’t say thing like { I cannot understand DVLA's lack of logic } when so many of us had to fight for years for our right to Drive after a dementia diagnoses

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
I think the lack of logic comment probably refers to DVLA being told by medical professional that a person shouldn't drive and then DVLA changing mind and reinstating licence after letter from licence holder without checking with medical professional or retesting them.
I'm sure not everyone with a form of dementia is unsafe to drive but if person is a risk for causing an accident and a medical professional informs DVLA then surely it isn't logical to reinstate it without a test or professional evidence they are safe.
I'm a big believer that drivers should be retested every so many years to check still safe and capable to drive.
My husband had his licence revoked temporarily a few years ago after a passing out incident. He could not get his licence back until the consultant he'd seen confirmed to dvla that he was fit to drive.He doesn't have dementia so not same but would think similar procedure for any medical revoking.
I would be surprised if the DVLA had just taken your dads word for it without a check, so if noone else has seem the letter reinstating it from DVLA I would think he may be wrong, whether on purpose or not. If it has been reinstated maybe you could contact his dr again tell them he has licence reinstated but you feel he is still a danger driving and could they inform DVLA if they still think hes unsafe.
Good luck keeping your dad and others safe x

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
I know they are totally unsafe driving and worry for their safety and the safety of other road users.
Hi @Star123, I think this combined with the licence being revoked following assessment by the consultant means you have every right to be concerned, and I agree with the advice given. Of course with access to a vehicle they may still drive even if the licence has been revoked. I have responded to previous such posts with an example of a driver in the town that I live that had his licence revoked as he was unfit to drive, carried on driving became confused at the road layout mounted the pavement and killed a teenage girl. So you are right to be taking action, as you say for the safety of your parents, other road users and pedestrians.

Ruth1974

Dec 26, 2018
You can report them anonymously to the DVLA, my husband had to have his licence renewed annually after he was diagnosed and i used to take him to the GP and reassure her he was ok to drive. In the end, he had a sudden deterioration and i simply took his keys off him and sold the car.

You are right, their safety and that of other road users has to come above their desire to drive. I agonised about taking my husband's keys but actually, he accepted it within 24 hours. At some level i think he knew.

One of my parents was diagnosed in June this year with Alzheimers something I was aware they had for 3 years. Sadly my family wouldnt address this until it became an issue that could no longer be ignored. After the intially tests and scan and formal diagnosis they had their driving license revoked by the Consultant, this has caused ongoing resentment since and is everyones fault with sadly no insight from my parent who believes their fine.

I can deal with all with their frustration. I offer lifts etc but I'm now horrified to learn that they have managed to write a letter to DVLA and had their license reinstated.
No theory test or examination has taken place and I cannot understand DVLA's lack of logic to this. So how do I stop them driving? I know they are totally unsafe driving and worry for their safety and the safety of other road users.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
If the licence was revoked then I am assuming that the insurers would have been notified to this effect, so this is something that would also have to be checked

Mustang66

Nov 27, 2019

This was the worst time for me with OH as his whole life was Hot rods, Classic cars, & Lambretta scooters, he said when the consultant advised revoking his license that they had taken his life away...there was nothing left , it was so distressing, he was 60, it did not help that people told him NOT TO as he was far too young, in all honesty I agreed with the consultant, I sent DVLA a letter & returned his license ,but I will never forget our last drive with him at the wheel x

Last edited:

Star123

Dec 20, 2019
Thank you everyone one for your advice and comments I appreciate you all taking time out to reply to me.

Maimai

Dec 27, 2019

Maimai

Dec 27, 2019
It's really hard. My dad had been diagnosed Alzheimer's for 3 years when he reached a stage when the doctor had to ask him to hand over his car keys or take a reassessment. Dad chose the reassessment. He didn't pass it, in fact they had to stop the test. DVLA wrote to him revoking his licence. Mum stopped him driving for 2 weeks, but then we discovered he was back driving with mum giving him directions, as she didn't drive it she was also being affected and couldn't stand up to him. As he still had his licence in his possession he believed he could still drive, even made up some silly story about the assessment. We had to remove the car and sell it. We later heard from mum that dad had turned into oncoming traffic at junctions and a number of other incidents.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
It's really hard. My dad had been diagnosed Alzheimer's for 3 years when he reached a stage when the doctor had to ask him to hand over his car keys or take a reassessment. Dad chose the reassessment. He didn't pass it, in fact they had to stop the test. DVLA wrote to him revoking his licence. Mum stopped him driving for 2 weeks, but then we discovered he was back driving with mum giving him directions, as she didn't drive it she was also being affected and couldn't stand up to him. As he still had his licence in his possession he believed he could still drive, even made up some silly story about the assessment. We had to remove the car and sell it. We later heard from mum that dad had turned into oncoming traffic at junctions and a number of other incidents.

Welcome to DTP @Maimai