Driving Licence Renewal

sah

Apr 20, 2009
Dorset
Form came today for annual renewal of husband's driving licence. He refused to tick the boxes that confirmed he had problems with memory-or that he gets confused. Also wouldn't tick the box to confirm he needs help with day to day living- I asked him who pays the bills at that point-and sorts out them all out-and shops-he just blanked. he still won't acknowledge that there is anything wrong-although he did write that he had been diagnosed with AD on the form.

I haven't been in his car for ages-I always drive when we go out together. I know he will drive himself to the local supermarket-but nowhere else as he cannot work out how to get to many places now.

My point is-I suppose they do check with his GP and consultant? I have told both that I cannot say whether or not he is safe to drive...but presume they would. Is it likely they may make him go through some kind of test? This is the fourth time they have renewed his annual licence-I'm just worried it is just a paper exercise with no checks, although I wouldn't like to see him lose it if he is still OK.:confused:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I don't know because I haven't seen the form, but I would think if he didn't fill out the form completely I would expect it to get returned. Of course if it's one where you have an option whether to tick specific boxes all bets are off.

Do you think he is still OK to drive? I know is is very difficult but in your place I think I would try going out with him in the car with him driving to see how engaged he is, and if you think he isn't then contact the DMV. I don't think either of you could live with the results of him having a fatal accident, and they do say that most accidents take place close to home. Maybe he's still OK to drive, but you won't know until you actually get in a car with him and see.

Last edited:

sah

Apr 20, 2009
Dorset
Thanks Jennifer:

It was a 'Yes/No' tick box form-I told him he was lying!

I'm seeing our GP on Tuesday so I'll run it past him as well. He may be able to suggest a test. I totally agree with what you say-it would be dreadful if something happened. I feel like he's fine on routes he knows -very focussed and careful- but I always wonder how he'd cope if something unexpected happened. I will go out with him-but he may well be fine then.

Dreading it when he does have his licence taken away-which I presume will happen one day. He's going to be really angry.....but I'll deal with that when it happens!:eek:

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
My husband drove for 4 years following his diagnosis but he was tested annually. An OT came to the house a couple of weeks before his 12 month licence was due for renewal and she tested him. Not sure what she did as I left the room but she needed a large table so assumed there was some kind of role play on a road layout. She then advised the DVLA of her findings. It was she who on the fourth test told my husband he was not fit to drive anymore. He could have contested her decision which would probably have meant a practical test but upset as he was, I think he knew himself he needed to stop. Not an easy time though.

Jay

zeeeb

If you don't feel comfortable getting in the car, and letting him drive you around, it's a pretty good sign that he shouldn't be driving. There are plenty of people around driving who shouldn't be.

I'm pretty sure, if you wrote the the DMV, and advised of the situation, they'd re-rest him, surely, that would only be logical. Then it's out of your hands, they are the ones who take his licence away, not you.

I'm very close to the point of writing a letter about a relative of mine (no AD, but severe vision problems). I'm gobsmacked that the medical profession haven't had a duty of care to contact the licencing people and advise of his severe vision problems, he only has a percentage of vision in one eye, and the other eye is all but useless. He can't see when he goes from a dark area (like a tunnel) into the light, can't drive at night. It's shocking that he's still driving.

roseash

Sep 10, 2010
Woolsery, N Devon
My point is-I suppose they do check with his GP and consultant? I have told both that I cannot say whether or not he is safe to drive...but presume they would. Is it likely they may make him go through some kind of test? This is the fourth time they have renewed his annual licence-I'm just worried it is just a paper exercise with no checks, although I wouldn't like to see him lose it if he is still OK.:confused:[/QUOTE]

Have recently had to fill in my husbands form who is on a yearly license and have just received a letter today from DVLA to say they will notify us in due course as they are waiting on his consultants opinion, so yes they do check.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I think the form (I think I've found it now) does ask you to give permission for the DVLA to contact your doctor but I don't know if they do that routinely or if they only do it when something on the form makes them wary.

horserider100

Jan 30, 2013
manchester
hi

my mum is in advanced ah the thought of letting her get in a car to drive it. im sorry but it is crazy. you must not let husband drive if he is showing signs of ah then he must surrender his licence. i do not want one of my kids killed by someone who is not fit to drive, sorry if this sounds harsh , but it is true.

3littlepigs

Sep 15, 2010
Derbyshire
Talk to GP

My dad was totally convinced he was fine to drive. He was definitely not. He would swerve into a space with no indication, go through red lights and stop at green. His mind would wander. My mum had to put her foot down and got the GP involved. Dad was not happy when they took his licence.
I hate to to tell you this but it did cause a lot of friction between them, especially with my dad being an impossible passenger. Saying that though, if anything ever happened and someone got hurt neither of you would forgive yourselves.
Good Luck.

Lulabelle

Jul 2, 2012
South West France
I've just filled in this form for my mother or at least the one which you have to complete to advise of a medical condition.

I told them she has Alzheimer's and vascular dementia.

I ticked 'yes' that she has memory problems, 'no' that she gets confused (is that a lie? - possibly but I didn't want to take the risk of her reading every line and her being cross I had ticked 'yes' - chicken....) and 'yes' to her needing help with day to day living - she has carers to give her meds and I have POA.
I also listed the meds she takes.

Then I explained to her that, as she has just turned 86 (how convenient) we need to tell the DVLA of the medicines she takes.

She signed the medical consent part and I will post it next week when we return from the States.

I did not tell her that they might take her licence away (again chicken), I do not labour the point that she has AD and vasdem with her - she has been told once by the memory clinic consultant, once by me and once by my sister. She has not retained this information and denies that there is anything wrong with her.

I dread her getting the letter from DVLA telling her that she has to stop driving but I do hope they do tell her this as, although she does not go far in the car, I just could not bear it if she a) got lost or b) injured or worse killed someone and both of these scenarios are entirely possible.

She does not need to drive as she has many friends who will take her to get shopping or get it for her, but I know she will be very upset about it as she feels it is her independence and she has been driving since she was about 21.

Such a dilemma in a way but, from the safety point of view both for herself and other road users, it's a no-brainer to me. I still dread the fall out though.

I hope she forgets that it was me that got her to sign the form.......

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
If your want to keep your driving licence I suggest you gather as much information as possible to support you ability to retain your driving licence for example: (1) Letters from your GP or Consultant (2) insurance agent record of claims (3) take a driving assessment make sure you book this yourself the report then is yours (4) make a short video of yourself driving on various roads and conditions (5) if you a regularly hire a car abroad ask them to give a report on previous hire (6) support of family & friends after gathering this information the dvla’s legal department will look at and if you have a strong case its unlikely the DVLA will go to court
most of all don’t give up it may take awhile if your right take on the DVLA on and challenge them remember there only bureaucrats sitting in front of a computer an office

Send complaints to the Customer Services Manager, DVLA, Swansea
SA7 0EE. Alternatively the ‘make a complaint’ online form can be completed at direct.gov.uk/emaildvla. The DVLA aims to answer complaints within two weeks.

Motorists who are still not happy after the initial response should write to the DVLA’s chief executive Simon Tse at DVLA Swansea, SA6 7JL. Again, allow two weeks for a response.

The chief executive can refer the matter to an independent complaints assessor if you request this. The assessor can look at matters involving poor service, incorrect advice or unreasonable delay.

You can also complain to your MP and they can refer the matter to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, whose decisions are not legally binding but are invariably followed. Compensation can be recommended.

optocarol

Nov 23, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
This kind of topic makes me wonder about the system in the UK. Do you not have regular retesting at certain ages? Here (NZ) we have to get it renewed every 10 years, then at 75 it is renewed for 5 years only. From 75 a medical certificate is required for every renewal. After 80, it is renewed for 2 years only. A doctor can also require you to sit a practical test.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
This kind of topic makes me wonder about the system in the UK. Do you not have regular retesting at certain ages? Here (NZ) we have to get it renewed every 10 years, then at 75 it is renewed for 5 years only. From 75 a medical certificate is required for every renewal. After 80, it is renewed for 2 years only. A doctor can also require you to sit a practical test.

Hi at the age of 70 the DVLA sends forms and the Driving Licence is issued for 3 year
but the if you want to retain the C1 category which allows a person to dive vehicles up to 7½ tons you must have a full medical which costs approx £80 I’m not seventy yet but will be this year