Driving/ DVLA and Insurance

Wakky

Jan 5, 2020
I wonder if someone can give me some information? My husband has been recently diagnosed with very early stages of AD. We informed the DVLA as there are no concerns about his driving, and a week ago we received his new driving licence, subject to yearly medical review renewal. My question is, when we inform his insurers, generally, is the premium increased by a huge amount? What are the experiences of others please? I would be grateful for any information. He drives a 2016 reg estate, not had any claims for over 5 years and I am on his insurance as "named driver"
Thank you in advance, PS He was 71 in January

Di*

Sep 25, 2015
Cornwall
When we notified our car insurers they didn't need to know about what illness it was. If the DVLA said they were happy for them to drive, the insurers were too. There was no increase in premium. That was with Saga

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
Ditto here, DVLA originally took OH license but he challenged that decision, did an assesment and gained his license back. As long as the DVLA were happy for OH to have a license the insurance company were happy and didn't increase his premium.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi Wakky well good news your husband has retained his driving licence and continues to drive after his diagnoses and brilliant to hear that you are supporting him great

I have dementia myself for almost 21 years now and I still have my driving licence and also drive ,

Insurance was never a problem Insurance companies never asked me about my Illness the will ask if the DVLA issued me with a Medical driving licence for 1, 2, or 3 years and the premium was not increased ( i have beeen answering thread on Talking Point since March 2005 that was the reason for joinging TP ) by the way i'm 77

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I wonder if someone can give me some information? My husband has been recently diagnosed with very early stages of AD. We informed the DVLA as there are no concerns about his driving, and a week ago we received his new driving licence, subject to yearly medical review renewal. My question is, when we inform his insurers, generally, is the premium increased by a huge amount? What are the experiences of others please? I would be grateful for any information. He drives a 2016 reg estate, not had any claims for over 5 years and I am on his insurance as "named driver"
Thank you in advance, PS He was 71 in January
It is best to inform the insurance company as change in health circumstances is a clause. Nothing happens as DVLA assessment is the criteria. It just means you are covered.

ps I’m 52 & have had a medical license for over 20 years

Wakky

Jan 5, 2020
It is best to inform the insurance company as change in health circumstances is a clause. Nothing happens as DVLA assessment is the criteria. It just means you are covered.

ps I’m 52 & have had a medical license for over 20 years
Thank you so much

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi WAKKY
I just looked at my Insurance Policy and Yes it does say medical conditions my insurance is renewed through a local insurance agent whom I have been using for almost 35 years so don't actuall complete the application myself now but on the driver licence bit they will ask if it’s for 1, 2, or 3 years unless you have a Full licence obviously it won’t apply then Happy Motoring :):).
( ps I also ride a Kawasaki 1000sx ) hoping to ride up to Silverstone in August 202 probably last time for me on a bike it’s a 275 mile ride. :D}:):)

Wakky

Jan 5, 2020
Hi WAKKY
I just looked at my Insurance Policy and Yes it does say medical conditions my insurance is renewed through a local insurance agent whom I have been using for almost 35 years so don't actuall complete the application myself now but on the driver licence bit they will ask if it’s for 1, 2, or 3 years unless you have a Full licence obviously it won’t apply then Happy Motoring :):).
( ps I also ride a Kawasaki 1000sx ) hoping to ride up to Silverstone in August 202 probably last time for me on a bike it’s a 275 mile ride. :D}:):)
Thanks so much, and good luck with the Silverstone ride!!

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27