Driving concerns!

yorkie46

Jan 28, 2014
Southampton
Well as suspected the Spect scan has been cancelled because he's told them he can't lie on his back for half an hour. He told me when he phoned that the person he spoke to said they would let the doctor know and he didn't need to do anything. I was suspicious of that and after a few days I phoned them back to check. I had a good excuse because our phone line had been off for 24hours! The person i spoke to suggested I should contact the clinic! I spoke to the nurse we'd seen at the clinic and he knew nothing about the cancelled appointment but said he would speak to the doctor. I'm guessing he'll be sent another appointment but I'm not sure he'll agree to attend. So it's back to the drawing board! I'm pretty sure that once again there will be no diagnosis. If that's the case I don't see me ever getting him back to the memory clinic again unless he gets to the point where he doesn't know what's going on!

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Well as suspected the Spect scan has been cancelled because he's told them he can't lie on his back for half an hour. He told me when he phoned that the person he spoke to said they would let the doctor know and he didn't need to do anything. I was suspicious of that and after a few days I phoned them back to check. I had a good excuse because our phone line had been off for 24hours! The person i spoke to suggested I should contact the clinic! I spoke to the nurse we'd seen at the clinic and he knew nothing about the cancelled appointment but said he would speak to the doctor. I'm guessing he'll be sent another appointment but I'm not sure he'll agree to attend. So it's back to the drawing board! I'm pretty sure that once again there will be no diagnosis. If that's the case I don't see me ever getting him back to the memory clinic again unless he gets to the point where he doesn't know what's going on!

Hi Yorkie46 well your OH is very determined I must say, I not sure if this will be of any benefit but You previously said you husband is 82 , this means he has either recently renewed his driving license or it needs to be renewed any time soon, bearing in mind that after the age of 70 everyone has to renew the license every 3 years what could is (a) dvla could ask him to take a driving assessment or (b) ask him to have a medical because of his age if he want C1 on his license he would definitely require a medical to keep that C1

best of luck

yorkie46

Jan 28, 2014
Southampton
Hi Countryboy
My husband's driving licence won't need to be renewed again until 2020. I tried last time to persuade him not to renew but he insisted he wanted to. I hope he won't be driving until the next renewal date!

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi Countryboy
My husband's driving licence won't need to be renewed again until 2020. I tried last time to persuade him not to renew but he insisted he wanted to. I hope he won't be driving until the next renewal date!

Hi Yourkie46 really stumped now, although normally I would admire the person who was prepared to challenge the bureaucrats and take them on I also know how much this is worrying you and causing you a great deal of stress as i said previously i hope your can both resolve this amicably
note i change my profile :)

yorkie46

Jan 28, 2014
Southampton
Today my husband received a letter from DVLA saying that a third party had contacted them and that he needed to complete the attached form. It arrived while I was out, he didn't seem to angry. He just said 'it wasn't you was it?' I denied it and so he decided it was probably one of the consultants he sees because they have to! When I got home he'd started filling in the form but told me he needed my help. I don't know if I should have helped but didn't have much choice. He didn't want to mention the memory clinic but I said he should be did. He didn't want to put the reason for attending as memory problems so he put checking memory. Where it asked if he'd been told by a health professional that he had memory problems he said no and he said he doesn't have any memory of concentration problems when driving. Later he said to me that a lot of people wouldn't have been able to fill the form in!
I've photocopied the completed form and posted it. I'm view of what a lot of you have said about him not being able to complete the form himself I wondered if I should make DVLA aware that he didnt. I didn't notice anywhere that it said he had to or that it asked if he needed help. Part of me feels like it's a bit of a farce if they don't know that he had help or that he doesn't know what his medical conditions are! On the other hand I've been quite relieved that he hasn't ranted and raved about it in fact he's been positively relaxed and says if they take his licence he'll just have to accept it, he won't appeal. He says he's been driving longer than he expected and didn't think he would want to much longer anyway he would just like to be able to drive when I'm away if he wanted to. Personally that's exactly when I wouldn't want him to drive!!
My overriding feeling is one of relief. At least if they decide to let him continue driving and anything goes wrong I have tried my best.

Laura40

Dec 10, 2017
England
That must be such a relief for you, and his response was really positive so all good in the end for everyone. Things will take their course. My husband and I have got rid of our individual cars and now have just the one for me and he is managing really well at the moment with public transport. It was such a relief for me when he stopped driving. He admitted that he is relieved too as it had become stressful for him in the end. He's not been driving a few months now but does get in the car on a weekend with me. I asked him to fill up for me the other day at the petrol station whilst I went in to pay and he couldn't do it, got completely confused just shows all for the best.

yorkie46

Jan 28, 2014
Southampton
Thanks Laura, I will be relieved if he is actually stopped from driving, at the moment it's a waiting game until we hear what they decide and I don't know how long that will take. I'm concerned that he couldn't complete the form himself and I had to help him. I'm wondering if I should let DVLA know this. He said on the form that he doesn't have any problems with memory of concentration when driving but he does. I'm going away for a week at the end of July and he's said he would like to be able to drive when I'm away. I doubt there'll be a decision before then.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
The doctor had already said my OH should not drive and when that form came, the clincher for me was that he couldn’t fill it in, so by not filling it in, the DVLA automatically asked for his license to be returned. Doing that doesn’t mean you can never apply for it again but that usually only applies to conditions which can be cured.

yorkie46

Jan 28, 2014
Southampton
Unfortunately no doctor has told him he shouldn't drive. My concern is that although the form has been sent in he couldn't do it without my help and I'm not sure if I should inform them of this.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
@yorkie46 to be honest, if he can’t fill in the form then he is not functioning properly and I think you also said that he is driving badly, so he should not be driving. However you are coping with a difficult situation and I don’t think that there is a perfect answer. I was terribly worried about my OH but was saved by the doctor saying he should not drive.

yorkie46

Jan 28, 2014
Southampton
Hi Grahamstown, guess my only hope is that they will contact the GP and the consultants he is under and that one of them will suggest that he shouldn't be driving or at least make them think he needs to be assessed. As you say it's a very difficult situation because I know he isn't safe to be driving but my word isn't good enough. Fingers crossed I will get the right outcome.