driving- an update

Jodie Lucas

Dec 3, 2005
Eastbourne
Hi everyone,

Just giving an update on situation with my gran. Went round week before last and we both looked for her driving licence- eventually found it and it actually expires in december this year (day before her 79th birthday). We have explained to gran that the DVLA may not give her a new licence due to her dementia diagnosis. At first she was very cross ' i can't cope without the car' , 'I just won't tell them' etc. But have explained legality (insurence etc) of the situation and how much money she will save (she has a free bus pass though it needs renewing. So i think she will come round to the idea...hopefully.

Thanks for all the advice given.

Jodie

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
It's sort of good news I suppose. I'm really not trying to rain on your parade, but you are aware that although this is an important step the lack of a license won't stop her from driving if she takes it into her head to? Only removing the car will do that. Unfortunately, dementia being what it is, what she says today may well be forgotten tomorrow (or in 10 minutes time), and that although constant repetition may plant the idea that she can no longer drive, it may not.

So your logical next step is to persuade her to sell the car. You might tell her that more people buy cars in the summer than the winter (don't know if that's true by the way) so that it would make more sense to sell it now rather than waiting for her license to expire. Because if you wait, the dementia may get worse and it may be more of a tussle to remove the car.

Wishing you well

MillyP

Jan 5, 2007
London
I totally agree with Jennifer...you really have to get in touch with the DVLA yourself and explain the situation...send a Doctors letter aswell and get her licence cancelled straight away. If she has been diagnosed as having Dementia then her insurance will be void already. You have to by law, inform the DVLA straight away. We had to with Dad although I would have done it alot sooner than my Mum did but if your Gran takes a car out and kills someone, you will never forgive yourself...please do it sooner rather than later.

mocha

Feb 17, 2006
Lancs, England
Driving

Hi Jodie, I hope you take the advice about sending her licence back to DVLA[ That is if she will give it to you.] It is right that the Insurance is void after a diagnosis of mental instability.
We had the same problem with my hubby and I said to him that it would be nice to be driven about in a taxi in future. Didn't dwell on the 200 mile runs we used to have.
My daughter took our car right away and now he just gets into it with no problems when we take him out for a run.

A lovely day today and we picked Ron up at the NH and had a short ride which he thoroughly enjoyed.

Good Luck............Better safe than sorry.

Aileen

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Jodie,

I told my husband he`d be asked to take his test again, when his licence came up for renewal. That helped. ;)

Love xx

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Was very lucky.

About nine months before Dee was diagnosed, bought her an automatic to replace her car as she was having trouble getting out of third gear. Had no idea what the problem was - thought it was just ageing.

But the automatic was too complicated - although she'd had one before - so realised something was very wrong and I drove everywhere.

As AD took over, Dee couldn't get the hang of the automatic so sold it with just 300 miles on the clock with her full agreement.

Now, she still wants to drive..........................seems the desire never goes away - so drastic action is essential

Last edited:

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Hi Jodie,
You have received some sound advise here, I don't envy you I know how difficult it is to persuade the elderly with or without dementia that their driving days are over. I hope that all goes well and agree that removing the car would be the best thing, if at all possible. Regards Taffy.

Helena

May 24, 2006
DVLA are now at last to have a discussion document on bringing in tests for all drivers over 70

Not before time thats for sure