Drinking the wrong thing

julientuareg

Nov 11, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Does anyone else have a loved one who tries to drink all sorts of things? This morning I caught my partner attempting to take a swig from a bottle of perfumed oil which made me think that I am going to have to start locking all the cupboard doors. He was also about to take one of the antibiotics for the dog.
How have people tackled this problem? I have visions of him drinking laundry liquid or something.
:(

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Sorry but no i don't have experience of what you are going through, and don't take this the wrong way but i hope i never do. I have said to my mum on numerous occasions that i feel the normal roles have been reversed, i.e. i am now the mother and she is now the child, she has jokingly said 'yes mum' on a few times when i have asked her if she could do something for me (which always makes me smile).
I would start thinking along the lines of the person suffering form dementia as being child like, so yes i would start thinking of locking the cupboard under the sink (as you do for a small child), move the medicines out of the way so the person cannot get near them, anything you think a small child could get their hands on move somewhere safe incase your partner can get them. I bought one of those CD boxes to store mums medicine in and put it up high so she cannot get near it as there was a couple of occasions where i found she had taken extra painkillers, but the time had elapsed between her last lot that she was quite safe, but i always think well what if it had been one of the more powerful ones?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I did keep all medication and dangerous fluids out of sight and out of reach .

My husband was more likely to take medication, thinking it was for him and he hadn`t taken his prescribed dose. He didn`t go to the cupboard where dangerous fluids were kept .

It is a difficult learning curve as we cannot presume anything.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
I think if this is beginning to happen it could be classed as your partner being a danger to him/herself. I think it is essential to leave nothing accessible that could be dangerous which would include non-spray perfumes, bath products, bleach, medications etc. etc.

It might be a good idea to speak to the GP about this new development and inform your partner's consultant as this is a significant change.

I wonder whether a special large, lockable, cupboard would help to store all dangerous items rather than your partner discovering familiar cupboards with locks on them? Just a thought.

Love

rjm

Jun 19, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hi Julie
I think this is very common. It is not so much that they are drinking things they shouldn't it is just that they have no idea what they are drinking. My counters are bare and cupboards and doors that Sharon tries to get into are closed with rubber bands, eyebolts, or sliding latches. For some reason there are some that she never tries to get into so I have just added closures as needed. The drinking also becomes a problem with alcohol when it is drank as if it is water with no concept of moderation. Sharon will also often try to eat anything; plants, tea towels, stones - it is quite reassuring to learn that most things are not poisonous!

Does anyone else have a loved one who tries to drink all sorts of things? This morning I caught my partner attempting to take a swig from a bottle of perfumed oil which made me think that I am going to have to start locking all the cupboard doors. He was also about to take one of the antibiotics for the dog.
How have people tackled this problem? I have visions of him drinking laundry liquid or something.
:(

Navara

Nov 30, 2012
Just think of how you would sort the house out when you have a toddler around and do likewise.

julientuareg

Nov 11, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Thanks for all your replies. It is probably even more difficult than toddlers because at least with them you could put things up high on the pantry shelves. I will try and lock away everything caustic but it would be a nightmare to have to lock away the cooking oil for example. I suppose that wouldn't kill him just make him sick.
I know what you mean about the drinking (and eating) these days if you blink you miss it and this with a man who could savour a glass of wine for an hour. These days I don't let him have cups of tea till they have cooled right down because I know it will be gone in two seconds flat.

SnowLeopard17

Nov 23, 2011
Hampshire,UK
We havent had any problems with the drinking of inappropriate things but we have had issues with lotions and potions.

My husband has over the past few years collected various items and he has the following in the bathroom:- shampoo, shaving gel, pile cream, toothpaste, E45 lotion, E45 anti itching cream, betnovate, trimovate, vaseline and antiseptic cream. Each one of these has been subject to 'obsessiveness' over the past few years and pre diagnosis subject to heated discussion when accusations of stealing were made when all the time they were to be found put somewhere 'Safe and secure'. I recently became aware that my husband could no londer distinguish between these items and the inappropriate/mistaken use of certain of these items is not always 'comfortable':eek:!!. Suffice to say i have taken more control :)

with love, SnowLeopard xx