Dreading Thursday - The Axeman Cometh

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Well done Scarlett! Shame about the flight to Scunthorpe - everyone's dream destination (apologies if you live there)!

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
There are many people on this forum who fight the most amazing battles even when they are exhausted from caring. Well done Scarlett and all the other courageous carers who fight the battles that shouldn't need to be fought. Not only do you succeed at getting what is right and needed for the person you care for but you also give hope, confidence and information for the many who, sadly, find themselves in similar positions so thank you all.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Talking Point mobile app

thebes

Feb 10, 2014
London
So glad to hear how you held your ground - you are an inspiration to all of us who will have these hurdles to jump. I hope you can now relax a bit and treat yourself to something special - you certainly deserve it.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
So glad to hear how you held your ground - you are an inspiration to all of us who will have these hurdles to jump. I hope you can now relax a bit and treat yourself to something special - you certainly deserve it.

I've downloaded all the appeals procedures as well - just in case they're needed. Though I fervently hope they won't.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
After a lousy few days, culminating in our GP, who was visiting the Home yesterday, scraping the side of my car when he parked, and denying everything :mad: (though he eventually admitted it), I had a lovely day out today with a friend in London, and was very moved to see the ceramic poppies at the Tower. In fact I've bought one, in honour of one of my Grandfathers, who died in 1917.

Anyway ........ I had a call from Welfare Payments when I arrived home, checking to see if I qualified for any benefits (I don't), so I asked what was happening with John's case. She transferred me, and I spoke to the guy who liaises with the care homes, money-wise.

And this gorgeous, wonderful man ;) informed me that all my statements were correct, and that I won't be charged top-up fees! He then added that the Home "might try it on", and ask me to sign a contract, obligating me to pay top-up fees directly to them, but he could categorically state that he had already agreed the fee that John would be charged, and there was no top-up fee, payable by me, and the Borough would never agree to room-sharing, unless it was a husband and wife, or 2 sisters etc.

Do I dare breathe a little easier now?

onlyme247

May 21, 2014
N.W.England
Good news you must feel relieved after all the hard work.Well done if John New how hard you fight his corner I feel sure he would be very proud of you.

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
Oh GREAT Scarlett. Just, literally, caught up with all this thread and feeling for you throughout and wishing you well until you hear. And thinking OMG This is all yet to come for me. And now I have read your latest post. TOTALLY BRILLIANT. I am thrilled for you and for your determination to succeed. The lovely TP Army as always came to your assistance. What an amazing bunch of bods! Love to you all - especially you Scarlett. X Shelagh:)

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Excellent news, but just one thought.... If the council are aware that homes may 'try it on' and ask you to sign something you shouldn't, why don't they do something to stop homes doing this? They surely have the power if they chose to use it.

hokeycokey

Feb 24, 2014
Brilliant news for you, well done with all your effort, it was very worthwhile

Sent from my A1-811 using Talking Point mobile app

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
So pleased for you Scarlett, how lovely to have a day in London always lifts your spirit, well done ♥♡♥

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Talking Point mobile app

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
Excellent news, but just one thought.... If the council are aware that homes may 'try it on' and ask you to sign something you shouldn't, why don't they do something to stop homes doing this? They surely have the power if they chose to use it.

Hi Pickles

I am not sure if councils are really bothered about relatives being charged top up fees.
In our case we were told by the social worker a top up of £1,000 plus a month would be required for my step mother due to her great needs.
As I think you know she got CHC funding.
I am afraid as soon as some social workers sniff money they want it used to try and keep within their own departmental budgets even though in my case it belonged to me.
I have sat in subsequently on other meetings mainly where an offspring and parent has been living in a jointly owned property and the social worker has tried to say the property would have to be sold but this has not been mentioned on the last 2 I have sat in on.
I did get a letter saying the sale of the jointly owned properties would have been stopped and also the sale of my bungalow would have been stopped when it got to the care home contributions teem.
The council did advise me training was taking place so social workers will know about the situation re houses but they did say it will take some months to train every social worker.
Probably the social workers had this training who were at the last 2 meetings.
What amazes me however is why has this training not been done before as the law re jointly owned property has not changed recently.
I have not spoken to the social worker who wanted my bungalow sold recently.
I did spot her across a busy road. It would have been interesting to hear what she would have said as she was not at all happy about the CHC funding.

William