Dreading Thursday - The Axeman Cometh

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Are you still recovering from your meeting the the axeman?

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Has the Axeman beeneth, I hope you got everything sorted x

Sorry for the delay, I had to go to the Home to calm John down, who was convinced I had left him, and I had caught a flight to ..................... Scunthorpe. :eek: Yes, that's me, I always opt for the exotic option. :)

Right, orft we jolly well go, as Jimmy Young used to say on the radio, a zillion years ago. The meeting lasted for about an hour and a half. I stayed very calm and composed and produced all the info I was asked for. I felt as nervous as before I took my driving test, also a zillion years ago.

I keep all the Bank Statements in a file, but whereas truth was asked for 6 months, he only wanted to see the last month, and then just to check John's private pension payment had been made.

He checked all the SRP papers, also asked for details of the Building Insurance, and John's savings, and asked if we had any other property etc. Eventually, the dreaded words, top up fees was raised, and I said "I understand that the council has a duty of care to find a safe environment for John, that meets his needs, and the matter of top up fees is not something that I'm liable for".

He replied that the Council may have a set contract with the Home, for a lower rate than what they are quoting me, and that it would only need to be topped up for the difference between shared and exclusive accommodation, and he agreed that sharing would not be feasible for a person with John's behavioural issues, especially the sexual side, and the violence.

So I replied, calmly "well if that's the case, then the Council will pay that, won't they, according to the 1948 National Assistance Act, Section 4, sub-section 2, part B". There was silence. He said, "well, it'll take a couple of weeks, but you'll get the details in writing, of what the council will pay, and what John will need to pay, together with the name of the specific person who will deal with your case, and if you have any queries, just phone them".

So, by the end of the month, I should know. But I'm so glad I had all the advice from TP and read up so much on-line regarding top up fees. Good luck to everyone else waiting for financial decisions, and thank you for all your support.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Well done!!

Sounds like he was Sub-Section fully GS by you :D

GS = another way of putting hit in the mouth :D :D

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Wolfsgirl

Oct 18, 2012
Nr Heathrow, Mum has AD & VD
So I replied, calmly "well if that's the case, then the Council will pay that, won't they, according to the 1948 National Assistance Act, Section 4, sub-section 2, part B". There was silence. He said, "well, it'll take a couple of weeks, but you'll get the details in writing, of what the council will pay, and what John will need to pay, together with the name of the specific person who will deal with your case, and if you have any queries, just phone them".

Brilliant - worth doing the homework :D

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Well done you...and yet part of me is sad that we have to battle so hard for something that ought, in these circumstances, to be an outright given.

Still you have done an excellent job. Bravo.x.x.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Well, I couldn't have done it without the support and encouragement of my friends on TP. No use worrying about what lies ahead, I shall (try to) stay calm until I know the outcome, and whether I can lay down my arms, or put my pith helmet on!

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
So I replied, calmly "well if that's the case, then the Council will pay that, won't they, according to the 1948 National Assistance Act, Section 4, sub-section 2, part B".
You're my kind of gal, Scarlett! Can I please use your assistance in any scary meeting I'll have to have?

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Oh, very well done Scarlett! Heehee! I'd love to have seen his face! He was probably thinking "What?? Section what? Is she making that up? Sh**! I wish I could remember what she said so I could look it up when I get back!":D:D

hokeycokey

Feb 24, 2014
Well done Scarlett - I too would love to have seen his face!

Sent from my A1-811 using Talking Point mobile app