Dreading taking mum to dentist tomorrow.

Lisa Quin

May 26, 2010
Romsey
Well we got an offer on mum's flat yesterday. FINALLY! That's the good news. Fingers crossed it all goes through. :D

The other bit is not really bad news, but i'm dreading taking mum to the dentist tomorrow. She went about a month ago and was very good that time (she has always normally hated the dentist)! They told her that if the pain comes back they will have to extract and that's the bit i'm not looking forward to.

When i saw her yesterday she was quite agitated and confused. She normally gets like that when she has an infection of some kind, so i just hope she doesn't take a swipe at the poor old dentist tomorrow! :eek:

We shall see.....

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Lisa,

It's good news about the offer:)

I hope it all goes well tomorrow at the dentist.

Love

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Lisa, hello
Wonderful news about the offer, I do hope all goes through without a hitch.
Wishing you, and the dentist, all the best for tomorrow but I do hope that you mum isn't in pain and hasn't got an inflection so has a good visit to the dentist.
Kind regards, Jo

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hope all goes well at the dentist 2morrow
and mum is better,
it's brill bout the offer, hope it all goes thro ok

HelenMG

May 1, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
My dad had a bad tooth about two years ago (eating too many sweets, :rolleyes:). he was in considerable pain and knew he had to go to the dentist. my heart nearly broke during that visit. He survived, and the pain was gone. A good outcome but it was so hearbreaking none the less.
Hope it goes well for your mum. it is a short enough visit - thats probably the best thing! Good luck

beaglefan

Apr 7, 2010
hi

my mum had to have all her top teeth taken out and dentures fitted straight away about 3 weeks ago. I went with her and it went surprisingly well but she suffered a lot of discomfort after. However it really had to be done as mum was getting lots of infections and hopefully this will sort out that problem, its very strange taking mum to places like this now, I feel as if I am the parent.

Good luck for your visit anyway, hopefully like me it will go better than you think.

Love Paula

PostTenebrasLux

Mar 16, 2010
London & Oxford
Hello Lisa,
Call the dentist surgery and warn them that your mother has AD and might need an anaesthetic. My cousin's visits to the dentist worked so much better once she was calmed or depending on the necessary work, put under anaethesia. The dentist was able to proceed with major work, all in one double booking over one hour and and hygienist work tooall was finished without distress for anyone. Just an idea.
Good luck!
Martina

Lisa Quin

May 26, 2010
Romsey
Thanks for all of your kind comments.

The dentist is one of the parents at my school and is absolutely lovely which is a bonus. I had informed them of mum's dementia and they could not have been more helpful or kind. Such a relief!

Mum did have an infection but she has been given antibiotics and was very well behaved during the visit! :)

One thing i've noticed about mum since she moved to the care home last year is that she is so much more stable, calm and balanced. Had this visit taken place whilst she was still living on her own, I can almost guarantee that the outcome would have been very different and mum would have behaved appallingly.

Having said that mum has to have a local anaesthetic extraction week after next but although this sounds horrible, i'm feeling a little more confident about it all being okay. We shall see.... ;)

x

susiewoo

Oct 28, 2006
Bromley Kent
It now needs 2 of us to take Mum to the dentist but it is always an experience! Mum seems to enjoy the attention and loves the dentist chair..last time took some persuading to leave it!
the dentist is ok but totally ignorant of dementia. asks whether mum could use an electric toohbrush or could floss regularly.....suggested mouthwash which Mum immediately drank staright down! didn't like the taste either!
I think it important to have a professional look at Mums teeth every six months as mum cannot tell us if she has toothache. her dental hygiene is abit hit and miss though.

Lisa Quin

May 26, 2010
Romsey
Susie, i think you absolutely hit the nail on the head there. It all boils down to other people's ignorance of dementia. It still made me cross to think of the way mum's previous GP treated her.

Going off the trail here but i once made her a home visit appointment and due to mum's confusion, when they phoned her to confirm it, she said she was fine and didn't need them. They told me to stop wasting their time and despite my pleading with them that she had dementia they wouldn't budge! I digress though....

It's funny you should mention the dentist's chair. Mum loves it too and didn't want to leave it either. Not sure what that's all about...:D

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I think the dentist chair thing is because it's very cocoon like (or my dentist's is). I suppose to make sure you don't move around unnecessarily it tend to be quite "grippy" if I can put it like that. Also, the feet up thing is really quite relaxing (until they get to the poking around phase at any rate).