Drastic Change

EVIE2304

Aug 13, 2022
Hey I'm looking for wee bit of advice for my dad he has certainly just gotten so worse overnight. He now doesn't know how to eat with a spoon, very sleepy and unstable on his feet. He is eating and drinking, there is no left sided droop or loss in strength but all of a sudden can hardly get up off couch and doesn't even know how to communicate all of a sudden. Can dementia just change so drastic in short space of time.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @EVIE2304.

I’m so sorry to hear about your dad. Have you had him checked for a urinary tract infection? UTIs can cause a real increase in confusion in a short space of time. My mum had them frequently and she was always much more confused when she had one.

I’m glad you’ve found DTP!

try again

Jun 21, 2018
When my mum's carers phoned me a couple of months ago, they were worried. I went over and she seemed very off so I phoned the ambulance . We went to the hospital and she tested positive for covid. Her O2 levels were low enough for her to be kept in overnight.
Personally, I don't think the progression is normally that quick
Have you phoned 111? Do you have a way of taking temperature? Have you any covid tests you can try?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Whenever OH gets an infection - be it UTI, or when he got covid - his mobility takes a big hit and he is much more confused.

It is, unfortunately, the weekend now, otherwise I would recommend you try and get a urine sample and take it in to your GP surgery. Probably contacting 111 would be best.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951