dostbury2

dostbury2

Sep 13, 2015
Hi everyone, we went to age concern today to get some help with AA. The lady turned us down flat, and suggested we come back in six months time. This was due to her assesment that the diagnosis of alzheimers for my partner was only a month ago. This is regardless that I have been caring for her for well over six months. When I asked about the reduction in council tax, she replied I would get the same answer.

I have sent for the form for AA and will get it filled out at my local CAB to try and get this brought forward. Could do with some advice and facts. Thanks dostbury2

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
dostbury

Hi everyone, we went to age concern today to get some help with AA. The lady turned us down flat, and suggested we come back in six months time. This was due to her assesment that the diagnosis of alzheimers for my partner was only a month ago. This is regardless that I have been caring for her for well over six months. When I asked about the reduction in council tax, she replied I would get the same answer.

I have sent for the form for AA and will get it filled out at my local CAB to try and get this brought forward. Could do with some advice and facts. Thanks dostbury2

I think you should get in touch with Social Services. Good luck.

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015
The easiest way I found to fill the form in is to keep a diary of things over a week or so that is done by others for you or you struggle with that you could do no problem before beforehand. Eg, my dad does gardening by laying flat on the lawn as his knees hurt too much, not as a normal person would.

If you don't want to fill the form in yourself then try citizens advice just don't let one person put you off, they have no right to judge or decide for you, it's bad enough having to be in this position without other people's biased opinions.

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015
You can apply for AA but have you applied for carers allowance for yourself as I think you have to have that awarded first before AA will be considered, not 100% sure but I think that's how it's decided. Then you can apply for AA as the person has had the problem for a minimum of six months already but doubt they will backdate it for the six months only from the date you applied.

Other places will help you fill the form in, including the local benefits team who will come to your home if necessary. They can also tell you about the CT benefit and how it's applied.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Its not up to age concern to decide whether or not you get Attendance Allowance, she may have given her opinion based on savings, etc. Go see/make appointment with CAB [Citizens Advice].

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Dostbury
Go to the link below, download the form, fill it in and put it in the post, job done.
We're too young for AA but I got carers allowance last week backdated to 8th June the date I finished work. We're still on the old system and got DLA and mobility allowance backdated to the date of diagnosis and a council tax rebate and reduction again backdated to the date of diagnosis.
You don't say where you are but in Salford I filled in the council tax application on line, they e-mailed me asking for proof, I used the camera on my phone and photographed the diagnosis letter from the consultant and the DLA award letter attached them to an
e-mail cheque in the post 3 weeks later.
As I say we're too young for AA so the rules may be different but if you don't ask you don't get certainly on the council tax one, I got the reduction 2 years before I applied for carers allowance so I can't see it's benefit dependant, the disregard is for someone who "has a severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning which appears to be permanent" not to do with what benefits you're getting.
K
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ata/file/447485/aa1a-interactive-jul-2015.pdf

dostbury2

Sep 13, 2015
Its not up to age concern to decide whether or not you get Attendance Allowance, she may have given her opinion based on savings, etc. Go see/make appointment with CAB [Citizens Advice].

Thanks Tin, your reply has given me lift. I will be at the CAB next week. Thanks again.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
To get AA you have to have had the symptoms for at least 6 months, but just because the Alzheimers was only diagnosed a month ago doesnt mean that the symptoms werent there before. Fill in the form yourself, or get someone else, like CAB, to give you a hand.
If you fill in the form yourself remember to answer the questions as if it were the worst day, make sure you answer each question completely (even if you end up repeating yourself) and put examples in the boxes at the bottom of questions where you have replied that there is a problem.

BTW, you have to have AA or DLA/PIP first before you can apply for Carers Allowance, although you can get the CA backdated to the date that AA/DLA/PIP was awarded.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
From what you have said here and on your other thread, I dont think that lady understands about AA - and its not means tested. :mad:

angiebails

Oct 8, 2009
crewe
I filled the forms out myself in July. It takes a long time as the more complete the answers the better. I printed out 2 copies of the forms and did a draft first. You can only get AA if they are over 65. And even if they don't award straight away as you do need to be caring for them for 6 months your claim would be in the system for the 6 month wait. But state exactly what and how long you have had to care for your Oh. Then you can put in for careers and it is backdated to the AA start date. The council tax reduction does depend on certain benefits one of which is AA to which I am now awaiting a reply for a reduction of 25%. I stated what date I started caring for my husband and yes I did have a diagnosis earlier but that's not always the case as some areas are a little slow in responding and I first took my husband to the clinic in 2009 to be discharged and not get a final diagnosis till April 2014 by which time I had been through absolute hell and torture to the point of a nervous breakdown and none of his family accepting he had Alzheimer's.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

DMac

Jul 18, 2015
Surrey, UK
Hi Dostbury, I recently had help from a Dementia Navigator from my local branch of the Alz Society to complete my mum-in-law's AA claim. I seriously could not have done it without her help.

The very fact your partner has a DIAGNOSIS suggests that she MUST have been suffering from the consequences for some time now, given that it seems to take forever - if ever - to get a diagnosis! If you think back 6 months, maybe a year, was your partner showing signs then? Can you describe them in terms of how they affected her life? My mum-in-law was definitely behaving oddly as long ago as 10 years ago, when I think of it. For example, she would refer to me in the third person, whilst looking directly at me. At the time I thought she was just a bit odd, but now I know more about her condition, it explains a lot.

Good luck with your application, and don't be put off by advice from someone who sounds as if they are making invalid assumptions about your situation. If they can't help you, someone else should be able to.

dostbury2

Sep 13, 2015
To get AA you have to have had the symptoms for at least 6 months, but just because the Alzheimers was only diagnosed a month ago doesnt mean that the symptoms werent there before. Fill in the form yourself, or get someone else, like CAB, to give you a hand.
If you fill in the form yourself remember to answer the questions as if it were the worst day, make sure you answer each question completely (even if you end up repeating yourself) and put examples in the boxes at the bottom of questions where you have replied that there is a problem.

BTW, you have to have AA or DLA/PIP first before you can apply for Carers Allowance, although you can get the CA backdated to the date that AA/DLA/PIP was awarded.
Thanks canary will let you know how I get on.

dostbury2

Sep 13, 2015
Thanks angiebails, I can't believe the amount of information you are all sending me, I will let you know how I get on thanks again.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JL513