Dosset box for meds

stockport1965

Sep 27, 2016
stockport
Dad is struggling to remember to give Mum her correct pills at the correct time.

I phoned the local chemist and they said that if Mum meets the criteria, she can have her pills in a dosset box. We need to fill in a form.

Once they receive the form, do they then prescribe all the pills immediately?

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
When I had to do this at short notice as a live in carer was starting, the form had to go to the pharmacist via the GP then each week I returned the empty one and collected the new filled sealed one. It cost me £1 a week to the pharmacist.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
My Mum had her meds prescribed like this by her GP. They were issued in weekly boxes by her local pharmacy and came in four time sections. Morning, Lunch or noon, Afternoon and Bedtime. I think it took a couple of weeks post prescription to organise.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
You had to pay for a dossette box? Why? Here it's filled in automatically by the chemist, every four weeks I get four disposable boxes for OH with his repeat prescriptions in it. I never had to fill in a form.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
You had to pay for a dossette box? Why? Here it's filled in automatically by the chemist, every four weeks I get four disposable boxes for OH with his repeat prescriptions in it. I never had to fill in a form.

Dad lived in a village the nearest large supermarket pharmacy didn't offer dossett filling service so village pharmacy only option and their policy was to charge £1 each time for the service so no choice but to pay.

Missie 1956

Oct 24, 2016
I didnt fill forms in either nor pay a charge. Just collect every four weeks from local Chemist. Doctor suggested and arranged it

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Not that it matters now but just wondering...Dads dossett box had a selophane ceiling that had to be punctured to access each timed dose ...a requirement of the care company and only the pharmacy dossett box was approved by the pharmacy...I was not allowed to provide it...those of you that weren't charged were your dossett boxes the same sealed versions. The village pharmacy that was my only option was an independent one maybe that made the difference in charging policy.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Thanks Beate...oh well! Didn't have much choice at the time and dossett box always collected from nice pharmacist wearing his £1 weekly smile. Dad was in a care home 6 weeks later as the live in care was shocking so not much money wasted.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Dad is struggling to remember to give Mum her correct pills at the correct time.

I phoned the local chemist and they said that if Mum meets the criteria, she can have her pills in a dosset box. We need to fill in a form.

Once they receive the form, do they then prescribe all the pills immediately?

depends how big a supply you have at home to an extent. The will start from the next prescription, so if you have just had a month's supply ordinarily packed, they wont reissue it in dosett boxes until they receive the next 'script from

the GP

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
The pharmacist suggested my husband should have one of their dosset boxes when I was collecting his meds one week.

Hubby doesn't have a lot of meds and I was doing fine making up my own dosset box for him - although it was a pain having to remember to renew on time as some meds were given for three months while others were prescribed for a few weeks at a time.

Anyway, I rang the GP and asked for hubby's meds to be given by dosset box via the chemist and within a few days I had 4 weeks' worth delivered to my door at no charge (even though I'd already got plenty at home at that point) I didn't ask for home delivery but this particular pharmacist seems to do deliveries automatically for anyone receiving dosset boxes.

I must say, a few months along and I am really grateful for the regular deliveries - one less thing to worry about. :)

Last edited:

stockport1965

Sep 27, 2016
stockport
depends how big a supply you have at home to an extent. The will start from the next prescription, so if you have just had a month's supply ordinarily packed, they wont reissue it in dosett boxes until they receive the next 'script from

the GP

The thing is she doesn't get all the pills at the same time. Some have run out some haven't, it's no wonder Dad is getting confused/

Thanks for all the replies. I will get it sorted on Monday when i am visiting.

DeniseCS

Nov 12, 2016
While it was expensive (around £80 I think) I bought an electronic doset box that you programme to the times you need & it flashes/beeps & moves to dispense only the tablets for that time. Obvs you have to fill it & this needs to be every 1-4 weeks depending on how many times a day tablets are taken, but if you can do this it may help your parents. Hope this helps.

Peirre

Aug 26, 2015
While it was expensive (around £80 I think) I bought an electronic doset box that you programme to the times you need & it flashes/beeps & moves to dispense only the tablets for that time. Obvs you have to fill it & this needs to be every 1-4 weeks depending on how many times a day tablets are taken, but if you can do this it may help your parents. Hope this helps.
I believe you mean a pivotell dispenser http://www.pivotell.co.uk/Medication+Dispensers+and+Accessories/0_CAAA001.htm these can be supplied FOC by the LA as part of the OT assessment. We where provided with the "advanced" version FOC along with a memory clock and big button telephone

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
After a disastrous incidents with pharmacy dosette boxes we found this https://www.amazon.co.uk/LiveFine-Automatic-Dispenser-Electronic-Medication-Clear/dp/B00FL620B0 which has been brilliant.

Dad got very confused with the pharmacy boxes and still forgot to take his pills regularly but this had an annoying alarm which keeps going for 30 minutes or until he tips the pills into his hand

We got the one with the opaque lid as we thought the clear one might confuse him if he could see the other pills.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArthurPOA