Door sensor with alerts to phone

GrandadsHelper

Oct 25, 2017
Hi I’ve recently installed the hive starter kit from maplin, it contains a hub which connects to the internet, a door sensor, and a motion sensor for around £65. You install the app to your phone and it alerts you when the door is opened and closed. You can buy separate door sensors and other hive products at other places too like Screwfix. You have to have internet and a phone that is compatible with the hive app.
I also have a cctv camera pointed at the door so when I get an alert I can log in and check what is going on ie is my grandad around or has he actually left the property and gone wandering. Very useful for night time wandering

monkeygirl15

Oct 1, 2017
Hi GrandadsHelper

I'm looking into the Hive Starter Kit but wasn't sure if you needed to buy a monthly subscription for this? I am just really looking into the door sensors as my mum has started to wander - are you also able to configure this so that it can tell you if the door has been left open?

My mum did have a locally based monitoring system but it kept malfunctioning and putting her through to the helpdesk at random times - which was frightening her to bits. So I've removed it today. We had a trial of Just Checking - which was great but is too expensive at the moment :-(

Thanks!

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I’ve installed a Ring Doorbell, available from Ring direct, but some other suppliers have it too. It has a motion camera, so you need to be careful of privacy issues if it overlooks anyone else, but I’ve found it great for checking on Mum if I’m out. It has the additional advantage of recording (very small monthly cost), if anyone was to come to the house & you can talk to them through the phone App

Recent Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan