Door Locks

Teacake

Oct 23, 2018
Hi,
I am new to the forum, I care for my mum who was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s a few weeks ago and she now gets medication to stabilise it - which works great......

But, the one thing for her is, she has totally forgotten how to lock her front door, so she has lost her independence, she is still able to go out for short walks alone - if she can get out.

Has anyone tried the card entry system - like hotel rooms, where it locks automatically

Any advice would be great, thank you

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hi @Teacake welcome to TP

I personally know nothing about these sort of locks, but one thing worries me.. if she is unable to lock the door now would she grasp the idea that a small card would allow her to regain entry to her home?
Hopefully someone with more expertise on this subject than me will be able to help you

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
My mum is in sheltered extra care, and the front door to her flat is on a key fob system which you just hold in front of door to release catch, from inside you just need to open the door. The fob I have lets me access the building, access the residents area and mum's flat (one fob) when there are no staff to let me in ti the building at weekends so I presume it is considered suitably secure.

My office block and office within that both use electronic plastic fobs and these will need to be secure under the terms of our insurance and confidentiality requirements, so there are suitable systems out there.

At the time she moved in mum was still able to use a front door key and it took a little bit of getting used to for her. She has the fob attached to her handbag, which she is never without (a dementia trait - in this case useful) and so can get back in. Prior to this she used to forget to take fob with her and would just sit by her door until someone came by - as it is in a nicely heated and carpeted corridor not a disaster. The door just opens by the handle from the inside.

I think the important point here is will she remember how to use it.

Not something I realised with mum straight away, but sadly independence is less important than safety, and if she has forgotten this skill other skills may rapidly follow, which might mean she isn't safe to go out on her own, not that she will be able to understand this.

Teacake

Oct 23, 2018
My mum is in sheltered extra care, and the front door to her flat is on a key fob system which you just hold in front of door to release catch, from inside you just need to open the door. The fob I have lets me access the building, access the residents area and mum's flat (one fob) when there are no staff to let me in ti the building at weekends so I presume it is considered suitably secure.

My office block and office within that both use electronic plastic fobs and these will need to be secure under the terms of our insurance and confidentiality requirements, so there are suitable systems out the.

At the time she moved in mum was still able to use a front door key and it took a little bit of getting used to for her. She has the fob attached to her handbag, which she is never without (a dementia trait - in this case useful) and so can get back in. Prior to this she used to forget to take fob with her and would just sit by her door until someone came by - as it is in a nicely heated and carpeted corridor not a disaster. The door just opens by the handle from the inside.

Not something I realised with mum straight away, but sadly independence is less important than safety, and if she has forgotten this skill other skills may rapidly follow, which might mean she isn't safe to go out on her own, not that she will be able to understand this.
Hi

My office block and office within that both use electronic plastic fobs and these will need to be secure under the terms of our insurance and confidentiality requirements, so there are suitable systems out there.

Not something I realised with mum straight away, but sadly independence is less important than safety, and if she has forgotten this skill other skills may rapidly follow, which might mean she isn't safe to go out on her own, not that she will be able to understand this.[/QUOT

Thanks for the replies. I thought about safety, as you say that is the main concern, but, at the moment she is still well able to take a short walk around her house. She is in sheltered accommodation with her own outside front door and still goes to bingo twice a week with her chums etc. Mum also has a large soft emoji which she has here current key attached to, this goes everywhere like a comfort blanket so the fob would be attached to that. Your fob is exactly what I need. I have an at home dementia meeting next week to see her house is ok so will ask their advice too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet