Door alarms

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
After it became apparent my inlaws could not remain in NZ with us due to visa difficulties they returned to the UK this week. As expected this has caused MILs dementia to take a steep down turn (and she has already been declining rapidly in the last couple of months.)

She has also wandered. I was looking at unforgettable.org and saw some door alarms and wondered if anyone had any experience with them. They have moved to a retirement property which does not allow door deadbolts, understandably so for ease of entry should the alarm go, but I did think these might work to let my FIL know if she moves overnight.

Has anyone used these and are they loud? Help would be appreciated, as it is hard being so far away.

sunshine1013

Dec 13, 2018
After it became apparent my inlaws could not remain in NZ with us due to visa difficulties they returned to the UK this week. As expected this has caused MILs dementia to take a steep down turn (and she has already been declining rapidly in the last couple of months.)

She has also wandered. I was looking at unforgettable.org and saw some door alarms and wondered if anyone had any experience with them. They have moved to a retirement property which does not allow door deadbolts, understandably so for ease of entry should the alarm go, but I did think these might work to let my FIL know if she moves overnight.

Has anyone used these and are they loud? Help would be appreciated, as it is hard being so far away.

My Father once caught my Mother trying to get out of bed on her own. She needed assistance as she was a fall risk. He got a bed alarm to use in case she got up again. It is about the size of a heating pad and it loud. My Father is hard of hearing and he can hear it just fine even if he is in the kitchen. My Mother no longer gets out of the bed at all.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I think the door alerts probably vary, are there any reviews of the particular one you're looking at?
Alternatively, as sunshine1013 says, you could consider using an alert/pressure mat as an 'interior door mat' so that it alerts when she treads on it. It could be repurposed in future if she becomes less mobile, so that it alerts if she gets out of her chair or bed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breazkrissy