Door alarm that only goes off when mum leaves

Chook

Jun 14, 2013
Westcountry
Mum's care home is not a dementia home and they're worried about her escaping. She hasn't tried to leave but they are worried she will.

Is there a door alarm out there that has a little keyfob or wristband for mum so only she sets it off? The care home don't want the alarm to go off every time someone comes or goes.

Any ideas? I have no idea what to search for.

Thanks
Chook

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I think I saw what you were looking for the other day at our local dementia centre. I took the card and prices but am out at the moment and don't have it with me. If nobody else has made any suggestions when I get back online later I'll put the details on here. You couldn't buy it from this place as it is our local police home safety unit but the description of the alarm might help. Maybe your own local police offer similar resources.

Chook

Jun 14, 2013
Westcountry
I think I saw what you were looking for the other day at our local dementia centre. I took the card and prices but am out at the moment and don't have it with me. If nobody else has made any suggestions when I get back online later I'll put the details on here. You couldn't buy it from this place as it is our local police home safety unit but the description of the alarm might help. Maybe your own local police offer similar resources.

Thanks Izzy!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
There are many systems where an alarm is triggered if somebody wearing a wristband approaches, most of them require extensive installation.

One maker is Stanley and they market a portable device.
I can only find a reference on a USA site
http://www.stanleyhealthcare.com/files/pdf/DOC-12-16601.pdf
The UK agent for Stanley is
http://turun.co.uk/products/wanderguard-firstq/
but I can't find a reference to the portable system on the site.
You could try phoning them, I think it may be quite expensive.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My other thought would be a bedside pressure mat.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
My MILS's CH isn't a dementia home, but there is keypad entry on all doors.

Quite honestly, I'm a bit surprised that all CHs don't have that system in place these days for health and safety reasons. How do they know who is in the building at any one time?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Izzy
That would activate whenever the door was opened, the requirement is for an alarm that only activates when a person wearing some kind of fob approaches.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Assuming door area has good GPS signal

Inform somebody (or yourself) that you are approaching somewhere!
You can define one or more proximity alerts. For each proximity alert you define a point on the map, a radius, an action to be performed (together with parameters), optionaly time frame within which the action will fire, optional rescheduling the alert (fire once, reschedule on distance, reschedule daily based on time frame). When your distance to the point is less than the radius, the action is fired.
Actions include:
1. "vibrate": Vibrate the phone to inform yourself.
2. "sound": Play a sound, again to inform yourself.
3. "call": Call a number to inform somebody else. The recipient can hungup the call as soon as he/she receives it.
4. "send SMS": Send a short message to inform somebody else (one or more recipients).
5. "hit URL": For professional use, to inform a server that the owner of the phone is approaching somewhere.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gr.x4real.android.proximity&hl=en

Chook

Jun 14, 2013
Westcountry
Thanks for all your replies, Jeany123, that's exactly what I want but it is very expensive. I'm sure it can't actually cost that much to make can it?

I haven't had much success with the gps thing. We've tried it lots of times but I think the signal is poor in the West Country.

Izzy, you made me laugh :-D

Thanks
Chook
x