Don't stall, make the call.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Greater Manchester Police have issued >>>THIS LEAFLET<<<, it's actually a double sided A4 folded into A5 and explains action to take if a person with dementia goes missing.

It enables details to be easily handed to the police, many of these can be filled in in advance, a photograph can also be kept with the leaflet.

Your own area may have something similar or you could use it as a template for making your own version of details but I doubt if GMP would object to its use outside of their area.

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It sounds as if someone is making an effort nitram. Well done Greater Manchester Police.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Wow that looks good Nitram.

Edit -
I've just sent a contact form to our local police force with that leaflet attached. I've asked if they have anything similar in our area.

Last edited:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Had a hard copy handed to me at a meeting this morning and was going to scan it and put the pdf somewhere on line but Google found this copy for me.

I thought it was an excellent way to record details in advanced and thus prevent someone from struggling when in distress.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"I've just sent a contact form to our local police force with that leaflet attached. I've asked if they have anything similar in our area."

Good idea, perhaps others could follow suit.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
You will have noticed my postings over the last while about my husband going missing and these questions are exactly what they have recorded along with a photo. At the last time he was brought home by the police (while in my company - long story) I noticed that the police driver knew all about him from previous occasions where his details were read out over the radio

I found the police on each occasion to be absolutely charming and helpful. Meds have been stepped up but John continues to want to go out 3 and 4 times a day even when as right now he is collapsing with tiredness.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I've had a reply saying it has been referred to our local police office and I've been given a reference number. I didn't think it would be a local issue. I was asking it if it was in use generally. Not to worry. I'll probably get a visit from the local 'polis'. That'll give the neighbours something to talk about!;)

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
It's good to be prepared, because at that moment when you realise they're missing your wits are scattered.

I think it's really important to have a recent photo handy. When my dad went missing (some years ago now) my description of him (tallish, medium build, grey hair, glasses) was of little or no use. He didn't have any distinguishing features such as a tattoo or a Mohican hairstyle, and would have attracted little or no attention striding along.

Some ID, such as an ID card, or a phone number disc on their keys (whatever they're likely to pick up as they head out) can help.