don't know where to turn -part 2

stranger

Nov 14, 2014
oh in hospital with pneumonia -consultant withdrew all meds for dementia-remarkable change in behaviour - discharged back to unit after 6 days-meds restarted - problems started again after 2 days-following week consultant agreed to gradually withdraw haloperidol as dose was quite substantial-haloperidol withdrawn over 3weeks meds now trazadone, lorazepam PRN- trazadone increased no effect- discussion over care plan wanted oh in care - I disagreed as oh is not English if distressed or agitated reverts back to own language - huge communication problems- no alternative meds discussed-I WAS ASKED by consultant which meds I would like him to prescribe as I,d mentioned that I often referred to TP-discussed a home trial other plan had to be in place in the event of not being able to cope- behaviour much worse (withdrawal symptoms after speaking to PALS he agreed to try memantine with risperidone and trazadone over 4week period to reach maximum dose- significant improvement continued for further two weeks- new consultant on ward 2 weeks home trial possible with good care package (has ben warded NHS CHC ) -disaster struck once again unit closing for re-furb no care in place SW on holiday- moved back to local unit veryunsettled behaviour back to square 1 .....to be continued

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
oh in hospital with pneumonia -consultant withdrew all meds for dementia-remarkable change in behaviour - discharged back to unit after 6 days-meds restarted - problems started again after 2 days-following week consultant agreed to gradually withdraw haloperidol as dose was quite substantial-haloperidol withdrawn over 3weeks meds now trazadone, lorazepam PRN- trazadone increased no effect- discussion over care plan wanted oh in care - I disagreed as oh is not English if distressed or agitated reverts back to own language - huge communication problems- no alternative meds discussed-I WAS ASKED by consultant which meds I would like him to prescribe as I,d mentioned that I often referred to TP-discussed a home trial other plan had to be in place in the event of not being able to cope- behaviour much worse (withdrawal symptoms after speaking to PALS he agreed to try memantine with risperidone and trazadone over 4week period to reach maximum dose- significant improvement continued for further two weeks- new consultant on ward 2 weeks home trial possible with good care package (has ben warded NHS CHC ) -disaster struck once again unit closing for re-furb no care in place SW on holiday- moved back to local unit veryunsettled behaviour back to square 1 .....to be continued

My goodness. This reads like a horror story. No care in place? What's that all about?

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
have no idea maybe its the old saying - somebody -anybody - nobody

Stranger - somebody must care for you. They simply must. Suppose you've been through all the usual? Is there anyone at all who you could contact? At least, to get some feedback and advice?

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
As CHC has been awarded then phone them-they will help. To get the funding your OH must be known to them. When my OH was awarded CHC funding I phoned the department a few times and found them easy to deal with.

As the NHS is paying the bills they have an interest in how your OH is treated.

Nightmare:mad:

Take care

Lyn T XX

stranger

Nov 14, 2014
hi Lyn T

thanks for the advice -spoke to CHC today it is up to them & SS to decide -however was told that 24/7 care would not be provided at home - don't really want 24/7 care-today have seen solicitor-he advises to get GP on board and see what he thinks today when I visited OH ward sister asked to see me as she was confused could not understand why a home trial couldn't be arranged as she feels that this would be beneficial as its a very noisy ward and OH would not have problems with communication- she said she would speak to consultant and SW and let me know - at last someone seems to be on my side - fingers crossed

- not sure how to reply to everyone individually but thanks to all who have replied best wishes to all xxxx