Don't Get Old

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
Stark article in: nhsManagers.net. today. The following extract sets the scene:

I see dementia as the silent thief that steals the years and robs us of our most loved. So, this is good news. Such are the financial rewards in finding a second generation Aricept, big-pharma is likely to come up with a solution. Whether or not it is affordable is a different matter. There again, £1,200 for a week in a care home isn't what I'd call affordable.

It's free daily Newsletter that is worth a skim.

Last edited:

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Stark article in nhs managers net. today. The following extract sets the scene:

I see dementia as the silent thief that steals the years and robs us of our most loved. So, this is good news. Such are the financial rewards in finding a second generation Aricept, big-pharma is likely to come up with a solution. Whether or not it is affordable is a different matter. There again, £1,200 for a week in a care home isn't what I'd call affordable.

Itis free daily Newsletter that is worth a skim.

Not sure exactly what this refers to GL, but certainly our society treats its older members appallingly :mad:

If children or pets were treated by the system as our loved ones are, there would be an outcry, national enquiry, court cases, etc, etc.....not so for those who simply get old :(

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Not sure exactly what this refers to GL, but certainly our society treats its older members appallingly :mad:

If children or pets were treated by the system as our loved ones are, there would be an outcry, national enquiry, court cases, etc, etc.....not so for those who simply get old :(

It is often said the mark of a good society is how it treats it's young, old and vulnerable, and I agree totally Lindy we are far from doing very well right now.:(

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs

Perhaps the proceeding paragraph makes sense of the polemic:

There are three news stories... in the course of a week I can link to well over a hundred. There are three that stayed with me; they had me wondering... I just have to revisit them.

The first, in the Guardian; trade puff for a book by Rudi Westendorp, Prof of medicine and old age at Copenhagen Uni.

She says don't worry about dementia. Because of better diet and education the numbers of people at risk of dementia, in old age, is significantly lower after the year 2000, than before.

Sorry for a vague post but RAF fighter planes have been deafening me as I type. Thank goodness they have ended their sorties for today.:D

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Perhaps the proceeding paragraph makes sense of the polemic:

There are three news stories... in the course of a week I can link to well over a hundred. There are three that stayed with me; they had me wondering... I just have to revisit them.

The first, in the Guardian; trade puff for a book by Rudi Westendorp, Prof of medicine and old age at Copenhagen Uni.

She says don't worry about dementia. Because of better diet and education the numbers of people at risk of dementia, in old age, is significantly lower after the year 2000, than before.

Sorry for a vague post but RAF fighter planes have been deafening me as I type. Thank goodness they have ended their sorties for today.:D

Well, if true, that may offer some hope. But as a society we still need to vastly improve the way we treat those who do get dementia, at whatever age and however few or many......x

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Well, if true, that may offer some hope. But as a society we still need to vastly improve the way we treat those who do get dementia, at whatever age and however few or many......x
I totally agree.
Even just being elderly can mean poor care and abuse

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Because of better diet and education the numbers of people at risk of dementia, in old age, is significantly lower after the year 2000, than before.
So, is she saying that all the highly professional people who have, and have had, dementia in the past, were poorly educated?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aliso