Don't family realise we need time off?

Kika

May 11, 2019
Don's elder dtr arrived yesterday. She had indicated before she came that she'd look after Don while I took a few hours off, so I contacted a friend whom I haven't seen for 2 years. He was already booked - fortunately, as it transpired, as step-dtr was in fact going to be out from early morning till mid-afternoon on a craft course. She'd mentioned a course but not specifics, and I was under the impression that it would happen either before or after her stay with us, not during.
It wouldn't have killed her to stay an extra day, would it? Smiling sympathetically and saying 'It must be hard' doesn't begin to cover it.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I share your pain @Kika.

Between us, my wife and I have 5 children and we are 100% left to our own devices. A phone call about once a month from my step-daughter is the extent of the support. I often think it's just as well that I have a lot of mental and physical stamina!

john1939

Sep 21, 2017
Newtownabbey
I share your pain @Kika.

Between us, my wife and I have 5 children and we are 100% left to our own devices. A phone call about once a month from my step-daughter is the extent of the support. I often think it's just as well that I have a lot of mental and physical stamina!
Pete, do you have anything to leave to your children ? if so I would in your place alter my will and leave everything to a worthy charity. Regards, John

Kika

May 11, 2019
After my rant earlier, I must tell you that the step DTR messaged me to say she and her sister will visit soon and take him out somewhere while I do my own thing. Only a few hours but it's a start!

Pots and Pans

Jan 13, 2020
Have you had a carer assessment? Council may fund some hours for you each week. Not means-tested and about you as carer needing a break for your own health and well being, so you can carry on. Not about the PWD except how it affects you eg: not being able to get out and meet friend for 2 years. Assessed through Carer Support in my area or referred by GP. ( Have just done an assessment so don't yet know what will be offered but even a few hours would be welcome and my OH won't mind if it doesn't cost us!)

Kika

May 11, 2019
His three children do phone regularly at least. He used to go and stay with his son or daughter, but over the past year he's got worse and couldn't travel alone. Not only that, they don't want him to, because they say it will only confuse him. I guess they're right,
really, but I'd like them to try! That's me being selfish.