1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. Silver Lining

Silver Lining Registered User

Nov 20, 2013
    My OH had his 6 monthly test MMSE and was not able to understand it this time, Donezipil to be continued though, has anyone else had experience of this, SL:(:(

2. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    He scored low on the test but was still prescribed Donepezil? Same here which I am glad about. It's not certain how the meds actually help but my doctor said he would never just take him off it without at least prescribing something else though I do know that apparently they can take you off if you score lower than 10/30. I'm guessing it's up to them to decide though.

3. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    My wife stopped taking Donepezil after 3 years or so and seems to make things a lot better. The occasional incidences of incontinence have stopped, she doesn't fall asleep during the day anything like as much and so sleeps better at night. I can only say stopping was a positive experience for us, but I doubt any drug companies have taken much interest into looking into when stopping may be appropriate, why would they?
    K

4. pamann

pamann Registered User

Oct 28, 2013
    Kent
    Hello silverlining, my hubby had his checkup a month ago, our Dr asked him 3 question but could not answer them so he didn't continue, as he now doesn't know what anyone is talking about, l said to him Donepezil ─Ćoesn't seem to be of any benifit to him now, he said he musn't stop taking it as he will go down hill very quick. He has been on it for 3yrs.

5. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    My husband was on Donepezil for around 7 or 8 years. As far as I know it helped him but it's really hard to say. He had no side effects. When it was considered to be having little impact he was changed to Rivastigmine (Exelon). He was on that for around 3 years. When his scores in the MMSE got to around 10 he was taken off that. For the last 2 years he has had no medications for his dementia.

6. Silver Lining

Nov 20, 2013
    That is what I have been told SL

7. Silver Lining

Nov 20, 2013
    Interesting how different decisions re medication are made. SL

8. patsy56

patsy56 Registered User

Jan 14, 2015
    Fife Scotland
    mother was put on it about 6wks-2 months ago will she get tested again?

9. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    #9 Izzy, May 4, 2015
    Last edited: May 4, 2015
  10. patsy56

patsy56 Registered User

Jan 14, 2015
    Fife Scotland
    Great more time off work and the moans and groans.

11. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    It's every 6 months here.

12. cragmaid

cragmaid Registered User

Oct 18, 2010
    North East England
    My mum was on it for three years and it was only stopped when she had all her meds withdrawn two months before she died. She had not had an MMSE for about 18 months prior to stopping.

13. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    The guidelines in our health board are that once the patient scores less than 10 then they will not prescribe the medication.

14. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    My wife was put on Donepezil at diagnosis of MCI with an MMSE of 28, she had a test every 3 months, at nine months the MMSE was 10 and the Donepezil was continued, at 12 months the MMSE was zero and the Donepezil was replaced by Memantine and Sodium Valporate. At 39 months all meds except Memantine and Sodium Valporate were stopped, these were continued even when the syringe driver was put into use, she died at 42 months.

I've given these details to illustrate that no two cases are the same, Izzy and myself being at opposite ends of a very wide spectrum, most people are somewhere in between.

15. mabbs

mabbs Registered User

Dec 1, 2014
    Lancashire
    My hubby was only on donepezil for just under 3 months, he got worse while on it, so they stopped it, for a week, he seemed to be so much better, and then he got very aggressive and violent, still trying to get things sorted. Hope whatever your OH is on, its works for him.