Donezepil and excess urination at night.

Mrs Humphrey

May 14, 2021
My husband takes 5mg of Donezepil at night. he cannot take the higher dose due to a low pulse rate. Some night and more often than not recently he is wetting the bed in spite of double incontinence pants. He is not incontinent in the daytime. The strange thing is the inner pair of pants are sopping wet but the outer pants are dry but his clothes are wet and the bed is wet etc etc. Why aren't both sets of pants wet?

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
Is he intefering with the pants and managing to pee outside them maybe? We had the same problem with Donepezil - definitely a case of more coming out than went in!
I wonder whether changing the time he takes it - perhaps in the morning? - would make a difference? Try a sleepsuit, so that he can't interfere - if that what he's doing?
Incidentally, I found slips to be far more absorbent than the pull-up pants. Mum wears a slip at night, pull-ups during the day, when she is mainly continent .

clare77

Oct 8, 2021
My mum takes donepezil and was struggling with multiple toilet trips at night, so the doctor changed to her taking it in the morning. Maybe speak to your husband’s doctor about whether he can take it in the morning instead?
Sorry can’t help with your question about the pants.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I was wondering whether he was peeing outside of the pants too - sometimes waking up knowing he needed to pee, but not knowing what to do and just pulling the pants and PJs down, then pulling them up again

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I suspect that the wee isn’t getting to the outside pair of pants because of the waterproof outer on the inner pants. Instead the wee is just leaking out at the legs or waist . You can buy special liners to fit inside pull-ups which absorb extra liquid but don’t have a waterproof backing. I wonder if something like that would help?

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
Slips are more like nappies - which may not be well received. Not so easy to pull up and down, but I think they have a greater capacity. If you look online you should be able to find out how much liquid each will hold. I use Vivactive Super, or ID Maxi.

Ramblingrose

Feb 2, 2020
My mother is still wetting a night time despite not being on the Donezipil for about a year. It is simply the dementia causing incontinence. It has got worse as the disease progresses. She is totally unaware of it.

mickeyplum

Feb 22, 2018
My husband has been able, just about, to get himself to the bathroom when he needed a wee during the night. He mostly missed the toilet or didn't get near enough and I was following him up and mopping the spills a couple of times a night.
He has just recovered from a urine infection and has been discharged from hospital wher he has been wearing pads and able to use a bottle when needed. There's no way I can leave a bottle by his bed. He has a hand tremor and wee would be all over the bed and carpet.
I have tried both pads and pull-ups since he came home but he can't manage to get them up and down and ends up weeing over the top of them on his pyjamas and bathroom floor. I changed his pyjama pants 3 times during last night yet the pad was still dry and slipping allover the place. A commode wouldn't work as he's so used to trailing to the bathroom. I'm desperate for any advice

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
My husband takes 5mg of Donezepil at night. he cannot take the higher dose due to a low pulse rate. Some night and more often than not recently he is wetting the bed in spite of double incontinence pants. He is not incontinent in the daytime. The strange thing is the inner pair of pants are sopping wet but the outer pants are dry but his clothes are wet and the bed is wet etc etc. Why aren't both sets of pants wet?
I can't find any evidence that doneprezil causes increased urine volume or freuqency per se and I have checked the BNF which I would do for any medications for my mum. Excess frequency is always a concern in men as well as women but for different reasons I would suggest a chat with the GP and consider other causes, clearly the fact that the need to pass urine during sleep is more than once or twice needs more appropriate investigation. There are medications available to help with this provided other problems are excluded -some of these can be done simply by taking bloods. I hope that helps