?? Donepezil

Weena

Jun 14, 2021
Hi, I’m new to this forum so first time posting ( a bit scary ).
My mam was diagnosed with mild cog impairment last March then Alzheimers in April 2021. She was put on Donepezil 5mg for 4 wks and tolerated it ok (eventho a bit sleepier through the day) so dhe was put up to 10mg. Within 2 weeks she couldn’t get out of bed, no appetite, totally lethargic & weak, had to coax her to eat anything, after 2 days called med nurse who put dose down to 5 again. Rang gp who suggested stopping meds and sent acute care team incase something else going on, everything else checked out ok. 4 weeks down the line she’s still got no energy or appetite and has started ringing me every morning to say shes not well (she’s normally very fit and active) still in bed or sitting with night clothes on til afternoon- not her at all. She rallys round in afternoon usually after Ive gone round. She’s seen gp again incase theres something underlying going on but I’m at a loss as to what to do or think???
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Xx

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome @Weena.

The only thing I can say is that this med isn't tolerated well by all people. Even when it is tolerated, not everyone will get much benefit.

As you have the GP on the case I would stick with that.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I should have added that the time at which theses meds are taken can be important.

When my wife was first started on this and Memantine they were prescribed to be taken in the morning and they made her sick and like the walking dead. When I switched them to taking at bedtime she settled and got good benefit from them.

human4

Jun 15, 2021
hello all,

my father has been diagnosed with MCI and Alzhemeher. my parents live in India and doctor gave him 10 mg donezepil as he tolerated 5 mg well for 6 weeks. my dad tolerated 10 mg well. but neurosurgeon has called my father after 6 months. i mean to say, if a patient is tolerating donezepil well then should the doctor not increase dose to 20 mg?? just trying to take second opinion here. basically i want best treatment for dad as this will only help temporarily and we want to make most of this medicine. it seems to be helping dad. please advise as to - is 10 mg donezepil max dose for early stage of Alzhemeher? i read on internet that upto 20 mg can be prescribed - hence want to know. thanks all.

Weena

Jun 14, 2021
Thank you for your reply, yes I’ll keep on with gp to try and rule other things out.
I’m new to all this and trying to manage it all ( ive never seen my mam poorly in bed in all my life- which I know is very lucky!) she’s much fitter than me usually.
I should have added that the time at which theses meds are taken can be important.

When my wife was first started on this and Memantine they were prescribed to be taken in the morning and they made her sick and like the walking dead. When I switched them to taking at bedtime she settled and got good benefit from them.
Yes mams med nurse did suggest taking at night which she did from beginning because of potential side effects

hi, yes mams nurse suggested when started taking the tablets to take at night in case of side effects. GP to send for further assessment with Geriatrician so we’ll see.