Donepezil

Linda G

Oct 23, 2017
My OH has been taking Donepezil for two years now. He has had a persistent cough for the past year or so which after many tests the doctors have said is a form of asthma. He has also been suffering night cramps in his calf on and off which seem to becoming more frequent. I was wondering if these could be side effects from the Donepezil. I hope not as would be most reluctant to change this medication and he seems to be doing well on it. Any comments would be welcome.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi Linda G I have been taking Aricept which is Donepezil for 19 year this November I can’t say I have ever had any adverse side effects I did suffer leg cramps at night but a year ago I was diagnosed with type2 diabetes and advised to lose weight so I walk a couple of mile every day only missed a couple for the whole year through bad weather “snow” and change diet I did that I lost 2 stone and rarely eat bread or potato never did drink much milk any I please to tell you my Leg Cramps are a thing of the past can’t remember the last time I had cramp

I understand we do differ and not all same

Last edited:

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
My OH has been taking Donepezil for two years now. He has had a persistent cough for the past year or so which after many tests the doctors have said is a form of asthma. He has also been suffering night cramps in his calf on and off which seem to becoming more frequent. I was wondering if these could be side effects from the Donepezil. I hope not as would be most reluctant to change this medication and he seems to be doing well on it. Any comments would be welcome.
My wife has been taking this for almost a year and only gets the very common side effect of nausea if she takes it in the morning by mistake. Otherwise she is fine on it.
The information leaflet with the medication lists, inter alia, the common(1 in 10) side effects of muscle cramp and common cold. If you are worried it may be worth a chat with the GP.

Country lady

Dec 5, 2017
As your Partner is at early stage - I urge you to read Dr Dale Bredesen book The End of Alzheimer’s. I only heard about it recently via this forum - read the book & have made several changes to his diet & lifestyle already & hope to join ReCODE. We tried Cliniall Trial - no efficacy / withdrawn . But determined not to give up yet.