Donepezil been stopped

Jadie

May 19, 2016
Yesterday mum who has Alzheimer’s was taken off Donepezil following a stroke and a seizure. She has recovered remarkably well but is a bit more confused and disorientated. Apparently, Donepezil poses a bigger risk of her having another stroke. She is now back at home. What are people’s experiences of coming off Donepezil please? Ive heard there’s a rapid decline....

Ohso

Jan 4, 2018
Hi, I dont have any experience but keen to know of anyone elses.
Mum 84 on Donepezil - Rispiridone since last June. I am told she will have to be weaned off both and Memantine is to be the replacement,for the Donepezil - Memantine has been prescribed and stepped up from 5mg to 20mg over a 4 week period and so the donepezil is due to start being decreased.
I have to say I am worried about the effects of taking her off, especially the Rispiridone which was prescribed due to paranoia etc and has been brilliant, I believe the Memantine is an alternative for Donepezil and might be better for mum, so will watch this post with interest.

I have done a little research and from what I remember Donepezil is difficult to assess as there is no way of knowing what the progression would have been without it and even less indication that it has a long term benefit and at best will only slow a disease that is heading in one direction.

I haven't read anything that indicates a more rapid decline following the withdrawal, perhaps others will have a different experience though.

I guess they weigh up the potential benefits against the potential dangers, such as with your mums stroke. I hope she continues to recover from the stroke xx

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
My husband was on donepezil for a while but he had tummy troubles so was taken off it. It was replaced by rivastigmine patches and he has been on these for over four years. His decline is very slow so the changeover wasn't ever a problem.

myss

Jan 14, 2018
Hi, I dont have any experience but keen to know of anyone elses.
Mum 84 on Donepezil - Rispiridone since last June. I am told she will have to be weaned off both and Memantine is to be the replacement,for the Donepezil - Memantine has been prescribed and stepped up from 5mg to 20mg over a 4 week period and so the donepezil is due to start being decreased.
I have to say I am worried about the effects of taking her off, especially the Rispiridone which was prescribed due to paranoia etc and has been brilliant, I believe the Memantine is an alternative for Donepezil and might be better for mum, so will watch this post with interest.

I have done a little research and from what I remember Donepezil is difficult to assess as there is no way of knowing what the progression would have been without it and even less indication that it has a long term benefit and at best will only slow a disease that is heading in one direction.

I haven't read anything that indicates a more rapid decline following the withdrawal, perhaps others will have a different experience though.

I guess they weigh up the potential benefits against the potential dangers, such as with your mums stroke. I hope she continues to recover from the stroke xx

I'm also curious about responses to the initial post. @Ohso my situation is similar to yours. My dad's been on Donapezil for years. Initially it seemed to calm him down but I've not seen anything else different in him plus he will still have his 'odd' moods.

He was initially going to be given Donapezil and Memantine, but as his blood pressure was quite low, we were told to stop Donapezil straightaway and to start on Memantine at 5mg raising to 20mg. He'll start on it today.

Ohso

Jan 4, 2018
myss

We are at the 20mg stage for a couple of weeks and I expect the decrease in Donapezil will possibly start next week after the next dosset box delivery (Wednesday)
Looking at mum these last few days, she has been more alert than for a while and speaking more than she has for a couple of weeks (I noticed how little she was speaking when she moved in with me a few weeks ago). so maybe that is to do with the Memantine, she has also been a little more agitated at night and I presumed that was a UTI but maybe not, a sample has gone to the lab for testing so I will update after results as if it isnt a UTI maybe it is the change of meds.

I will be interested in your experiences

Jadie, how is your mum doing ?

myss

Jan 14, 2018
Well we are a couple weeks in with Memantine now and completely off Donapezil, and I have to admit that it hasn't been great. Dad has been a bit more destructful now with homewares and furniture than he was before. If I have to give a positive note, I guess he appears to be a little more stubborn than angry, and the stubborness tends to pass after a while.

Ohso

Jan 4, 2018
Mum has been kept on Donepezil and memantime. It seems thats the plan going forwards.Her consultant seems to think that both combined will be best for her.
Rispiridone has been reduced and removed in 4 weeks.
Mum appears a little more engaged during meal times though it doesnt last long and she is still sleeping about 20-22 hours a day