Donepezil/Aricept

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Over a year ago when we were attending the memory clinic in our previous area OH was assessed for his suitability to take Donepezil. At the time there was some debate about whether he might have been experiencing seizures and he was given an EEG but we were never given the results nor was he prescribed the drug. I assumed he shouldn't have it because of the possibility of seizures.

Today we had an appointment with the Memory Clinic at the local hospital where we are now living, and were asked how OH was getting on with the Donepezil which according to the records the Dr had received had been prescribed last year??! After some discussion the new Dr agreed to do some investigation before prescribing said drug. He gave me a leaflet about Aricept which I have just read which says that anyone with a serious lung condition shouldn't take it. OH has COPD. It also says if antibiotics are taken it shouldn't be prescribed, he's on his seventh course of ABs this year. I wish I'd read the leaflet while we were still there. Has anyone else had experience of this drug being given to someone with these conditions? I guess I shall have to get advice from the GP.

The leaflet refers entirely to Alzheimer's, but OH has VascDem is Aricept used for that as well?

Sorry but I'm quite concerned,I don't want OH to miss out on something that might help his memory, but neither do I want something that will make his medical condition worse.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
AFAIK aricept only works for Alzheimers. If they think there is mixed dementia its often given to try and slow down the Az part, but Im not aware that it will help pure Vas dementia. Mum is on aricept and no-one seems to worry about this when she gets UTIs and is given antibiotics, but she doesnt have a lung problem, so I dont know about this.

In view of all of this I think I would definitely query the use of aricept with the memory clinic.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
My wife's COPD has all but disappeared since she stopped taking Donepezil, they did do breath tests before they put her on it. She was never taken of it when she went on antibiotics, however, I do know you have to stop taking statins with at least some if not all antibiotics.
K

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
The last but one course of ABs meant he had to stop his statins. Oh well I shall try and speak to the Memory Clinic tomorrow and find out exactly what's what.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
My wife's COPD has all but disappeared since she stopped taking Donepezil, they did do breath tests before they put her on it. She was never taken of it when she went on antibiotics, however, I do know you have to stop taking statins with at least some if not all antibiotics.

Hi Kevin, did the Donepezil help your wife?

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point