Donepezil and Memantine

Pamb

Jun 1, 2017
Hi
My husband went for a review of his medication..Donepezil last week. (He was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s last year)
Our GP said maybe it was time to think about Memantine as there has been some progression in his memory loss/ cognition.
Has anyone had experience of it please or experience of using both at the same time. I’m so worried about my lovely husband coming off Donepezil to find that Memantine doesn’t agree/work for him.
Thanks

clarinuts

Sep 17, 2018
Hi Pamb, my dad has recently been prescribed memantine in combination with the donepazil, my understanding as the new NICE guidelines recommends the 2 drugs should be used together

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Pamb, welcome to posting on the forum.

My wife takes both these meds and tolerates them well. The combination has slowed her deterioration although it hasn't stopped it.

Not everyone benefits from these meds but I am certainly glad that they were offered.

Pamb

Jun 1, 2017
Hello @Pamb, welcome to posting on the forum.

My wife takes both these meds and tolerates them well. The combination has slowed her deterioration although it hasn't stopped it.

Not everyone benefits from these meds but I am certainly glad that they were offered.
Thanks KaraokePete x

Pamb

Jun 1, 2017
Hi Pamb, my dad has recently been prescribed memantine in combination with the donepazil, my understanding as the new NICE guidelines recommends the 2 drugs should be used together
Thanks clarinets, I will speak to gap about him trying the both together x

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Hi @Pamb, my husband took both medications together for nearly six years and tolerated them well.

At the time our consultant was straying from the NHS approach which said donepezil was for the earlier stages and memantine was for the later stages. He was aware that in America both were given at the same time, and that research showed they generally worked well together, so decided to follow that path instead.

As a previous poster has said, the NICE guidelines now recommend that both should be prescribed together here.

Individuals react differently to medications and it is always scary during that 'wait and see period'. I wish you well and the best of results for your husband.

Pierwalker

Apr 1, 2017
Hi,

Just registered so looking forward to sharing experiences and knowledge with you out there.
Wife diagnosed 4 years ago and has been happily on 20mg Memantine 3 years ago with no side effects.
Such drugs are said to slow the progress of course but it puzzles me as to how we know they are doing this since we have nothing to measure against unless perhaps its the test results run by our consultant and then compared with an empirical group? Any research known?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Pierwalker, welcome to the forum. Now that you have found us I hope we'll see you around and that you find the forum a friendly and supportive place.

It's a common statement from members that they don't know if things would have been different without the meds.

I'm not aware of studies but have a little recent personal experience with Memantine. A few months ago my wife was taken off the med because it was felt that a new physical symptom might be a side effect. The physical problem didn't go away but her dementia worsened quickly. As the physical issue wasn't a side effect she was put back on the med and her dementia has returned to it's pre existing level.

I also read a book based on case studies about a year ago and it had details of one gentleman who was on the original trial for Donepezil but continued to deteriorate at a slow rate so was removed from the trial as it was thought by his GP that he must have been one of the trial members on a placebo. His dementia worsened rapidly so the trial managers were contacted and the GP was informed he had been on the Donepezil. He was put back on the med but so much damage had been done that he didn't return to his previous level.

I have done courses where it has been suggested that the benefits aren't seen in everyone and even when seen they only last for months. However, current practice in my area is to leave people on the meds for the duration of their dementia and I don't know what to make of this.

However, I'm probably much like most others in being glad that something was offered to my wife.

Pamb

Jun 1, 2017
Thanks everyone, I think I will speak to our GP, hopefully he will agree to my husband being on both!...fingers crossed.

Pierwalker

Apr 1, 2017
Hello @Pierwalker, welcome to the forum. Now that you have found us I hope we'll see you around and that you find the forum a friendly and supportive place.

It's a common statement from members that they don't know if things would have been different without the meds.

I'm not aware of studies but have a little recent personal experience with Memantine. A few months ago my wife was taken off the med because it was felt that a new physical symptom might be a side effect. The physical problem didn't go away but her dementia worsened quickly. As the physical issue wasn't a side effect she was put back on the med and her dementia has returned to it's pre existing level.

I also read a book based on case studies about a year ago and it had details of one gentleman who was on the original trial for Donepezil but continued to deteriorate at a slow rate so was removed from the trial as it was thought by his GP that he must have been one of the trial members on a placebo. His dementia worsened rapidly so the trial managers were contacted and the GP was informed he had been on the Donepezil. He was put back on the med but so much damage had been done that he didn't return to his previous level.

I have done courses where it has been suggested that the benefits aren't seen in everyone and even when seen they only last for months. However, current practice in my area is to leave people on the meds for the duration of their dementia and I don't know what to make of this.

However, I'm probably much like most others in being glad that something was offered to my wife.
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I guess we are all the hands of our dedicated researchers and the best thinking from Doctors and Consultants that suit individual cases.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan