Donepezil advice please

Savingsqueen

Jan 12, 2017
Hi, I'm caring for my 87 yr old mum and new to all this. Although mum has been having problems for some months now, we only recently got her diagnosis of mixed dementia for which she has been prescribed donepezil and aspirin. However, mum is in complete denial and refuses to either believe or acknowledge that there are some real problems going on and so is not taking her medication. I prepare a day by day pill box with all her other meds in (she takes quite a few) and she takes those with no problem. My question is can she take donepezil early evening with her other pills or does it have to be last thing at night? I'm thinking if I put it in with her 5pm meds she may not realise and take it. Any advice welcome for this newbie!!

CarerForMum

May 5, 2017
Hi, I'm caring for my 87 yr old mum and new to all this. Although mum has been having problems for some months now, we only recently got her diagnosis of mixed dementia for which she has been prescribed donepezil and aspirin. However, mum is in complete denial and refuses to either believe or acknowledge that there are some real problems going on and so is not taking her medication. I prepare a day by day pill box with all her other meds in (she takes quite a few) and she takes those with no problem. My question is can she take donepezil early evening with her other pills or does it have to be last thing at night? I'm thinking if I put it in with her 5pm meds she may not realise and take it. Any advice welcome for this newbie!!

Hi, have a word with a pharmacist, they can give guidance. Sorry have no experience of donepezil. I do like the idea though, with others it might not be so noticeable.

Mimi5

Apr 22, 2017
Essex
Hi and welcome:)

You've come to the right place! I'm also new on here and care for my MIL. She is on Donepezil too. She was very hit and miss with taking her meds before I came on board and we have tweaked and learned a lot along the way.

We have now got her a pivotel meds dispensing machine, it's been amazing as it only dispenses for that day & what?whenit's been programmed to making an alarm noise till emptied. She was having bouts of upset tum and we figured out having the donepezil on an empty stomach was why. So she now has her meds with lunch (the machine releases them at lunchtime)

I'm sure more knowledgeable people will be along soon!

irismary

Feb 7, 2015
West Midlands
We were advised by memory clinic to give my husband his donepezil in the morning and I give it him with his breakfast. It did make him somewhat "loose" for a while but he is a vegetarian so never had problems going to the loo anyway. Its settled now and he has been taking it well over 2 years. I think the important thing is for it to be taken but I am no expert. Would your memory clinic nurse or gp give you their advice?

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
My husband takes his donepezil in the morning. The memory clinic folk told me some years ago now that it didn't matter if it was morning or evening, the important thing was to take it at the same time each day.

Having said that, my husband only takes 5mg of donepezil, maybe if he was taking a higher dose they would move it to a bedtime medication time.

Sorry I can't be of more help. It's worth checking with your mother's GP or memory clinic though :)

P.S. I just noticed that you are a new member of TP so I'd just like to add a big welcome :)

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My husband was on 10mg of Donepezil for a long time. We were advised that he should take it in the morning. They were OK with me putting into his yoghurt as he had problems swallowing pills and capsules.

I agree that it's worth asking the surgery pharmacist if it could be taken in the early evening.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I don't think it matters in the slightest. My OH takes it at bedtime with all his other medications, but I'm sure early evening is good too - the important thing is that it's taken!

Jo Sutton

Jul 8, 2016
Surrey
Initially, I gave Mum donepazil in the evening, but her nights became so much more disturbed. The Memory clinic nurse told me that it 'boosts brain activity', which makes sense as it's designed to combat the progression of Alzheimers, and suggested I gave it to her in the morning instead.

We saw a real difference - Mum was more active during the day and more restful at night, so I would definitely advocate giving it to her in the morning if you can, or as early as possible if you can't.

Hugs

Jo xx

dasntn

May 21, 2014
North Devon
My understanding is that it can make some people feel effects (tiredness, stomach issues) in the early days so they advise taking just before sleep, but it doesn't really matter when it is taken.

Savingsqueen

Jan 12, 2017
Thank you all for your thoughts, I have had a word with mum and told her it is important she takes it. I've put it in with her other eve meds and we will see how that goes. Appreciate your support x

Recent Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan