Donations to Alz Society

Discussion in 'ARCHIVE FORUM: Support discussions' started by alison, Feb 14, 2004.

1. alison

alison Registered User

Aug 25, 2003
    gravesend, kent
    Just wanted to say how disappointed I am with the Alzheimers Society themselves. In the 3 weeks leading up to my mum's funeral, I emailed them 3 times asking them for some literature I could give out to friends and family who wished to make donations in lieu of flowers. Having heard nothing, I telephoned them, someone had to look into my query and phone me back, I did then receive the literature required, but just a day before the funeral, too late to give them out. I sent them 3 personal cheques over 2 weeks ago, and had had no acknowledgement whatsover. I rung them last week, had to wait until the next day for someone to phone me back, who was under the impression I had sent 2 cheques. I told them no, I had sent 3. I am still waiting for an acknowledgement by post from them, together with, as I had requested, something I could send to the 3 people that gave me cheques, by way of a thank you and letting them know what their money would be used for. I wish now I had sent these 3 cheques to our local Alz and Dementia Support Services charity. Just wanted to share this with you as it has made me a trifle cross!

2. Jan_48

Jan_48 Registered User

Feb 13, 2004
    Hampshire
    Donations to Alzheimers

Hi Alison.

I have sent you a private message but on reading your posting felt I had to say that I'm interested to hear of your problems with donations. Like you, I asked people for donations instead of flowers and have £100. I intend to give this to my local Alzheimers Society to spend on local support for people. Thanks for the info.

Jan.

3. C.Waring

C.Waring Registered User

Feb 6, 2004
    Lancashire(East)
    Fund Raising

Interesting to read your comments. I have to say when I have sent donations to the society even though only small I always had a letter of thanks. This Christmas instead of sending a usual donation I set about making hand made Christmas cards and selling them, this venture snowballed a little and I had to rope in my sister to help me. We ended up making £425 (£1 per card) which I intend to send to my local branch but I want to ask for it to be used in some way for early onset sufferers like my husband, but as our branch only launched in Nov I have been asked to hang on for a little. I think it is good to give locally and see the benefit. Only my thoughts.

4. Dominic

Dominic Registered User

Feb 16, 2004
    LONDON
    My sincere apologies

Alison

I apologise that the service you have received as been inadequate and unsupportive. I am the manager responsible for ensuring that donations are thanked in a timely manner and as importantly requests for donation materials are send to prospective supporters as soon as is possible.

Unfortunately due to staffing and technical problems my team and I are experiencing severe delays in responding to information requests and thanking donors. I assure you that the team and I are doing everything possible to resolve these issues to get our service back to an acceptable standard. I realise that these actions are too late for you but please be assured that I and the Alzheimer's Society are extremely grateful for donations from people like you.

If you would like to e-mail me ( dwoods@alzheimers.org.uk ) your full address details I will personally ensure that all your donations have been processed and acknowledged.

Thank you for choosing to support the Alzheimer’s Society.

Dominic Woods
    Supporter Care Manager