Donations for the Alzheimer's Society

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
I'm arranging my Mum's funeral for Thursday and many people prefer to make a donation to a charity, rather than sending flowers. I've suggested that they give money to her Church, the Alzheimer's Society ot their own favourite charity. As Mum didn't have Alzheimer's disease, but Vascular dementia it does seem to confuse people .
It would be better if the name was more general, for instance "Memory Disorders" or "Brain Power". The charity "Mind" has a name which doesn't mention mental health problems and yet everyone knows what is meant by it.
I do wonder how many potential donations are lost because relatives don't realise that the Alzheimer's Society can help people and their carers with all types of dementia.
I came across Talking Point entirely by accident and it has been a great benefit to me during the last year or so.
Kayla

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Kayla
So pleased that TP has been a help to you.
you make some very good points regarding the name of our charity.
I think Alzheimer's because it is the largest dementia group.
I would suggest you contact the Alzheimer's help line and ask the question of the chief executive.
I would be interested in the answer.
Best wishes
Norman

cynron

Sep 26, 2005
east sussex
Crossroads

Kayla , my husband also had vas dementia and i decided to ask for donations to be made out to Crossroads . I found that these were the only people that gave me any real help at the time i was in need. A lovely lady came and looked after my husband while i went to the shops once a week. he was happy with her although she said he was asleep most of the time ,she was there for him and i was very grateful.

I might add i only got this help after i was in the social sevices system,
although i had a cpn i was not allocated a SW until i insisted. and that was only in the last year of the illness.

Cynthia x x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Cynthia, I do so agree about Crossroads. Their carers are wonderful, and once you are in the system thay are always willing to adapt to your needs. I couldn't survive without them.

Tash

Jan 8, 2007
London, UK
Kayla said:
I'm arranging my Mum's funeral for Thursday and many people prefer to make a donation to a charity, rather than sending flowers. I've suggested that they give money to her Church, the Alzheimer's Society ot their own favourite charity. As Mum didn't have Alzheimer's disease, but Vascular dementia it does seem to confuse people .
It would be better if the name was more general, for instance "Memory Disorders" or "Brain Power". The charity "Mind" has a name which doesn't mention mental health problems and yet everyone knows what is meant by it.
I do wonder how many potential donations are lost because relatives don't realise that the Alzheimer's Society can help people and their carers with all types of dementia.
I came across Talking Point entirely by accident and it has been a great benefit to me during the last year or so.
Kayla

Hi Kayla,

Thanks for your post, and for asking for people to support our work - it is very much appreciated by all of here at the Society. I've talked to our marketing team about the name and they've said that our name and strap line ("Dementia Care and Research") is currently being looked at.

They also told me that, before we make any changes, we want to be sure that we do not jeopardise the awareness that people do have of us under the name "The Alzheimer's Society". We understand the concerns that you have and, as part of this process, we are looking at the confusion around "Alzheimer's" vs dementia in general.

Once again, thanks for raising this issue. Hopefully we'll be able to let you know later in the year once something is more definite.

Best wishes,
Tash

New Media Support Officer
Alzheimer's Society