donation?

peebix

Oct 4, 2015
Hello

I am going to make a donation in remembrance of a dearly loved person who has died after Alzheimer's. I was trying to find some independent information / assessments of UK Alzheimer's and dementia charities, to make an informed choice. But I could not turn anything up.

Are there any sources of online information for UK charities connected to Alzheimer's and dementia, where I might get an independent assessment of the organisations and the quality of the work they do, maybe a breakdown of how donor contributions are allocated? Thank you for any pointers.

(I have no doubt at all that the Alzheimer's Society would be an excellent choice for a donation, but still I like to look at charities if information is available, before I donate).

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Someone mentioned recently on here that they asked for their donation to the Alzheimers' Society to be 'ring-fenced' for research funding.
Other options are to give to the local Carers Associations who deliver 'hands on' services to individuals and their families.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
Three of the main charities are:-

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/index.php?gclid=CMqs-eW1qMgCFaZ02wodoP0Buw

http://www.alzheimersresearchuk.org/?gclid=CM2dzYe2qMgCFcFz2wodkX4Msw

http://www.dementiauk.org/?gclid=CMzAj9K2qMgCFQSw2wodrQgPVg

They each concentrate their efforts in different areas.

When my wife died I asked for donations to be made to the amenity fund at the day care centre she had attended as this would be spent on extras for attendees with no direct overheads.

I would say Age uk I don't know about any one else but we have found them very helpful and we have a sitter from the for 9 hrs a month and she is a lovely lady

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
[QUOTE

When my wife died I asked for donations to be made to the amenity fund at the day care centre she had attended as this would be spent on extras for attendees with no direct overheads.[/QUOTE]

What a good idea.

Takes away that thought in the back of one's mind (as one stands in the rain with collecting box, say, )
that maybe your donation will be going on canapees at some reception or other..........or paying the salary of an aggressive telephone fund raiser.

Local and small -- a good idea for such a personal donation.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
When Roger passed away, I asked for donation to Alzheimer's Research because I feel that to know the causes is vital. Whilst support is vital once the diagnosis has been given , I feel that to get to the root of the problem is essential.

I must say that the at the time when I needed help, I couldn't gain support by any of the other charities and even had to fight to get SS involved because he was under 65. My life was one long struggle, not to mention what Roger went through. I know I was not alone in this problem, although hopefully things have improved.

Anyway, back to the point. It was Alzheimer's Research for us. 83% is used for research.
Just my views.

PS I apologise if my post caused offence to the Alzheimers Society, but I felt so let down by the society, other than TP which helped to keep me afloat. I sent many emails to my local office and they didn't even bother to acknowledge them, let alone offer support. I was desperate. J x

Last edited:

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Well in the past I have asked for to go to Research but lately I think ALL areas are important so I no longer specify any. TBH I do not know whether all our monies go into one 'pot' and how the budget is proportioned. However I do believe that money is managed well considering the size of the organisation. Sadly all charities have administration costs but without them they could not operate and support much needed causes.

peebix

Oct 4, 2015
Thank you very much everyone, it's very helpful. And I think I will go to Alzheimer's Research with my donation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bottomls