Don`t know what to do

jeanierec

May 7, 2007
north yorkshire
Roseann

Thankyou for taking the time to reply to me. I will talk to mums Dr and will mention Iron deficiency.

I`m really touched when our problems strike a chord with others and as we know just finding things we have in common in similar situations is a comfort ....so thankyou.

Bruce

Strangely enough I said virtually the same thing to my friend the other day and I`m sure we`re all guilty to a degree of complaining about the trivialities its only when your life is touched by the real deal that you realise how petty all those bouts of `flu , migraines and backaches that we`ve moaned about really are.

Hazel

Not only did your hug comfort it also made me laugh and in turn made Danny laugh when I shared it with him so thankyou.

And Lauren

Bless you for posting to me . With everything you have going on in your life with your friend it was very kind of you to take the time to touch base with me.

I really hope that things will get better , you are obviously care so much I`m sure both you and your mum are a comfort to your friend even if sometimes it doesn`t seem so.

Love to you all

Jeanie x x

jeanierec

May 7, 2007
north yorkshire
Connie

Thanks for the hug I really appreciate it....there`s nothing like a strong ( or even not so strong ) pair of virtual arms wrapped around me to make things feel better.

Jeanie x x

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Jennifer

Do I get the message that you are a dementia sufferer yourself? How wonderful if you are able to help us all out in coping with our relatives. If I have got this right, you must be a brilliant person and so brave to share your experiences with us. Thank you.

Regards

Margaret

jenniferpa said:
Sometimes, unfortunately, anti-depressants will make the depression worse for a short period of time: I have no idea why, but it's a known side-effect, and I have personally experienced it. In my case it took about a week before I got back to the point where I was before I started the anti-depressants and from then on things improved. It may take time.

Regards

Jennifer

P.S. WARNING!! If the depression is now so bad that she is potentially suicidal you should get her back to the GP ASAP: I felt suicidal but I knew it was the meds, so was able to "tough" it out, but your mother may not be able to make that connection. If I had thought that I was going to feel like that forever, I don't know what I would have done.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
No, although my children may not agree, I'm not a dementia sufferer :D I am however a well medicated depressive (which is what I think you intended to say :) ) The important part in this sentence is "well-medicated". I am one of the fortunate ones who a) have a very good psychiatrist and b) responds well to meds. I would say I'm a depressive but I am NOT depressed.

Love

Jennifer

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi Maggie

I'm not sure what you mean by psychological depression. I would say that for some reason my body doesn't produce enough of the right neuro-transmitters, and that's what the medications deal with. I've had enough trials off the meds to realise that, at the moment, by body doesn't do what it's supposed to do. I say at the moment, because I am hopeful that at some point in the future I will not need to take these meds, but that's all it is, a hope. Apart from anything else I don't have prescription coverage for these meds so it gets rather expensive. So when I say I'm a depressive but not depressed it is because the meds deal with the depression but not the underlying phsyical causes. For me, there's definitely an element of SAD (seasonal affective disorder) in the whole thing: I have to reduce my meds over the summer, otherwise I get slight overdose effects. For me, that's generally a very strong sugar craving (I actually ate a pot of jam in one go once before it was sorted out). As I said before I consider myself fortunate: the SRI (seratonin reuptake inhibitor) type medications have proved effective for me, which probably means I don't produce enough seratonin.

One has to be wary though. Not everyone's depression is caused by the same things, and some will respond to meds and some will, sadly, not. People who haven't used these meds sometimes think of them as "happy" pills but I have not found that to be true: I have the same range of human emotions that anyone else has and can be just as sad as anyone else, but I don't have the crushing paralysis that the depression can bring.

Love

Jennifer

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
People might be able to stand and walk for a few minutes and pull on socks, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are well enough for a normal working day or to look after someone else 24/7.

Lila

Brucie said:
People say their back is killing them, yet they can still stand and walk and pull on socks..

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
... but killing them, it ain't :)

Lila, I wasn't talking in the carer context.

The number of times people say they have a bad back when they have an aching back - that is what I meant.

When you have two squashed discs that play against each other, and are on your back unable to do anything for 5 weeks, and then take a further 6 weeks to get back close to normality... that is a bad back. An aching back is something else entirely.

Carers require immense strength, both of character and body. We know that.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Brucie said:
People say they have 'flu when they have a cold

People say they have a migraine when they have a headache

People say their back is killing them, yet they can still stand and walk and pull on socks..

and ...

People say they are depressed when they look out of the window and see clouds

... i believe most people here on TP know what depression is....

I don't think Bruce was intending to mimimise any of these things, Lila. Yes, back problems can be incapacitating, as can a bad headache or a severe cold.

His point was (as I see it), that we all tend to think our ailments are the worst ever, (and maybe they are when we're in the midst of them), but unless someone has suffered severe clinical depression they cannot possibly comprehend how completely incapacitating it is. It is most certainly not being fed up because it keeps raining, or you can't afford that new pair of shoes.

Sorry Bruce and Lila if I've misunderstood either of you.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Hi jennifer

jenniferpaI'm not sure what you mean by psychological depression.
Just could Not work out what you meant by depressive , but not depress , as my Dictionary says .

Depressive a person who suffers frequently from depression
-

So look it up , as I had never read it like that before , in the way you said it

jenniferpa I would say I'm a depressive but I am NOT depressed.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/depressive

de·pres·sive (d-prsv)
adj.
1. Tending to depress or lower.
2. Depressing; gloomy: "Americans entertained the depressive thought that they had ceased to be themselves" Lance Morrow.
3. Of or relating to psychological depression.
n.
A person suffering from psychological depression

Look up psychological depression , to find out where its all rotted from http://www.studentdepression.co.uk/site/index.php?page_id=65

Thank-you for explaining what your meant/said when you refereed to the above
jenniferpa I would say that for some reason my body doesn't produce enough of the right neuro-transmitters, and that's what the medications deal with.

Last edited: