Dols

99purdy

Oct 31, 2014
Hi Everbody,

Hoping that somebody my be able to give some helpful information. Went to visit NH today noticed on the board in the office that Dad had a dols, as all the other residents do, against his name. I do not know a lot about DOLS to be honest. Dad has no capacity and has been safeguarded quite a few times. Members of staff have been suspended for ill treatment of Dad. I have never had any further feed back from safeguarding or the Manager, but apparently the staff have been cleared of any wrong doing and have been allowed back to work. I seem to left in the dark on a lot of decisions being made regarding Dad and to be honest I am ready to blow my top. I was under the impression that I should have been made aware re the Dols and surely as his COP deputy I could also act as his advocate. I visit the NH at least twice a week and telephone every other day. Dad receives CHC as he is very unpredictable and aggressive. However surely this should not alter the fact that we as family should be informed. Any information would be greatly received before I go in all guns blazing.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
All I can speak about is my own experience and it's about my adult(28) disabled son. He has severe learning difficulties and autism.

He is a fairly recent user of respite care.
I was contacted by the DOLS team, a lovely, well-informed, compassionate woman, who told me my son had to be assessed for DOLS, she was part of the safeguarding team and they had to attempt to keep me, as next of kin, informed and to allow any challenges I had.

I was comfortable with the concept of DOLS, it's a protection, in my view, and a couple of weeks later, I received a copy of the intended document with contact details if I wanted to amend or had any objections to the details.

I am shocked to hear that you weren't informed and involved.
I don't think you need to go in 'guns blazing'.
I would simply inform them that you haven't been informed and you need a detailed reason why this mistake occurred.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

tigerlady

Nov 29, 2015
My husband had a DoLS put on him after the Section 2 ended, as without that they cannot keep someone confined without their permission. I was consulted at all stages and sent a form to fill in and sign saying that I was willing to be his personal representative - the role being to protect his interests throughout the time the authorisation was in place, and I have been kept informed all the while - for instance he had to have a new DoLS when he changed homes so it applied to the current home and I was informed of this and attended when he was assessed.

If you are not your Dad's representative you should apply to be and maybe find out who is his representative now, as a personal representative must have been appointed.

I think most people with dementia have a DoLS order on them, because if not, the home legally would have to let them go home if they asked to.

It also means they can use safeguarding methods for personal care if necessary, which it is in my husbands case.

You should find out the address and phone number of the DoLS Team and contact them - in my case their offices are at the County Council.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
My husband is in a nursing home and has no capacity. He has been assessed three times now and it has never been a problem. The last one was just before Christmas and I was there whilst it was done. I was telephoned before hand by the assessor and given the time of the assessment.

The assessor asked me if I had any concerns re my husbands care and he spoke to the staff as to his care plan that he had read through. He also spoke to my husband, and was very compassionate in all his dealings with us. He received no answers to his questions or any recognition that he had been heard. He was happy that no capacity was correct and my husband needed to be where he was.

Received his written report and I duly signed and returned my part with no reason to ask for changes. The assessor was satisfied that my husband was looked after as he should be. he also looked at his medication and said he was not being over medicated.

A DOL assessment is for the protection of the person with dementia and to make sure the care is correct. It is to establish they are not being deprived of their liberty when it is not necessary.

You should certainly ask why you were not advised of the visit and not being given the choice of attending..

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Mum is in a secure CH and has a DOLS She (like all the other residents) has to have one as it is a secure home and none of the residents are allowed out unaccompanied, so they are being deprived of their liberty.
What you have to remember is that the emphasis is on the safeguarding part of Deprivation Of Liberty Safeguarding. You have to show that the deprivation is for a good reason and in their best interest.
BTW, I was never informed either, even though i gather that I should have been. TBH I suspect that it is so routine in mums CH that they simply forgot. I am very happy with mums CH and I can understand the reason for the DOLS, so I just let the matter go

99purdy

Oct 31, 2014
Hi everyone, thanks so much for your replies. I have no problem with the Dols and agree that in Dads case it should be in place. I am just concerned that it has been completed without the courtesy of informing me as his next of kin and COP deputy. When the forms are completed interested parties should be informed. The nursing home is under very close scrutiny from CQC and I am not happy with the way many issues have been dealt with and feel that residents who have family with a voice are being deliberately kept in the dark.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
The assessors themselves have always contacted me, not the nursing home.

The one before Christmas came on a Saturday morning and had travelled all the way from South Wales, leaving home at 7am for a 10.30 appointment.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Yes, in view of the history, or even without it, to be frank,!you should flag up the fact that no attempt has been made to involve you in the life events of your father.
And it has two blades....next of kin and Deputy.

You should have known.
Nothing should happen without you knowing.
Make sure they know that. x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
The CQC would want to know about your experience.
I would suggest that you make sure they do by listing your concerns telling them who are you ie daughter with PoA and head it up with the name of the home. It is difficult for them to take action without people giving them information - you can email them
Tel: 03000 616161
Email: enquiries@cqc.org.uk

I agree that I would also contact the LA DoLS team and tell them about your experience.

99purdy

Oct 31, 2014
Thanks again everybody for your replies and contact details. I will definitely contact on Monday. X