1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

1. PeggySmith

PeggySmith Registered User

Apr 16, 2012
    BANES
    Haven't posted for a while but still check up most days. MIL now 88 has been in an NH for just over 2 years. She can't weight bear or feed herself and is doubly incontinent. She hasn't been outside for at least a year. She still knows us all but has no grasp of the relationships we have with each other (2 sons and wives).
    About 3 weeks ago I took a phone call from a DOLS assessor. I was a bit surprised but duly noted what she said and promptly forgot about it. On Friday a registered letter arrived for OH. It's a stack of paperwork and a form to sign and send back agreeing to be MIL' s RPR. I've looked online and can't really see that she meets the criteria for this. Any thoughts anyone, please?

2. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    To be honest, I think it's standard in a care home to have a DOLS in place to make it legal to keep them there for their best interest. I wouldn't worry too much, they are just making sure everything's above board.

3. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    As a result of recent court cases many care homes are now putting a DOLS on all residents who lack capacity.

An RPR has to be appointed to represent the interests of the person whose liberty is being deprived, it is usual for a close friend or relative to be appointed.

Unless OH does not want to be RPR I would just go ahead with the paperwork. If he refuses it would mean that somebody else will be appointed to represent MIL.

4. PeggySmith

PeggySmith Registered User

Apr 16, 2012
    BANES
    He's already signed it. Just my suspicious mind, I guess.

5. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    Don't worry.
    OH will have formal power of representation - what else would you want?