DOLS

JillandCarolyn

Oct 21, 2020
Hi, my father has been in his current retirement home for approx 3.1/2 years. A couple of weeks ago, following a fall, he was admitted to hospital. Luckily he wasnt hurt but we received a call to say the home was refusing to take him back. Long story short, they did and we have had an assesment by mental health nurse. It appears dad is "responsive" when told to do something, ie hitting out . He eyesight is failing which makes him likely to fall. We have gone ahead with trying to find him a new home with EMI support.
Today my sister had call from retirement home saying they are applying for DOLS as this would pretect them and in dads best interest. We havent heard of this and only information is via google. Does anyone have any experience of this and is it in dads best interest? We have lost confidence in the retirement home and to be honest where looking into moving dad before lockdown due to lack of staff/safety issues /failing cqc report in all areas. We have only seen dad through window in last 7 months and he isnt aware of us being there to be honest.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @JillandCarolyn , I popped this on your other thread.
Basically it means that the care home will be legally able to keep him in the home against his will. My mother has a DoLS as she tried to leave her care home on several occasions. She was assessed by a psychiatrist and a social worker and they agreed she didn't have capacity to make decisions about where she lived. It was first awarded last June and renewed for a year in December.
I think it is probably in your dad's interests but I'm sure others will be along with their views soon. I agree that you actually do need to find a new home for him as his behaviour is far from unusual for someone with dementia.

JillandCarolyn

Oct 21, 2020
Thank you for takig the time to reply. As far as im aware there has never been an issue with dad wanting to leave. Quite the oppisite in fact, when taken into conseratory he was very unsettled and wanting to know when we where going "back".

Up the Creek

Sep 9, 2020
East Anglia
In my father’s case, he had limited mobility but didn’t realise it. The DOLS was to enable the nursing home to use rails on his bed to prevent him getting out of bed unaided and he also had a safety belt to keep him safe in his wheel chair