DOLS

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by Normaleila, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Normaleila

Normaleila Registered User

Jun 4, 2016
    Hi.
    I have legal & financial POA for my aunt, who has lived in her care home for the last 18 months. My sister has health & wealth POA and I'm asking on her behalf. DOLS was confirmed soon after our aunt entered the care home and it was 'renewed' - if that"s the word - a year later. The manager has now advised that an advocate has been appointed to represent my aunt with regard to the DOLS. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I understand that it's routine but my sister is worried that someone who doesn't know my aunt might, just might, decide she has capacity and leave her free to leave the care home. Can I reassure my sister that this isn"t going to happen?

2. karaokePete

karaokePete Volunteer Host

Jul 23, 2017
    Male
  3. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    My wife had a Independent Mental Capacity Advisor (IMCA) appointed as an advocate both when she was sectioned and when the home needed a DoLS.
    They are independent of both the NHS and social services and are there to ensure that the rules of "least restrictive option" are followed, as both the "authorities" and me agreed that a care home was the best option they are appointed so that an independent professional agrees and we're not "railroading" her into a decision she isn't able to make for herself.
    I've just looked at the paperwork and it runs into 12 pages, typed on both sides from a consultant psychiatrist, and IMCA a nurse at the care home and a person from the mental health team as well as me the Relevant Person's Representative (RPR)and explains in great detail why the best option for my wife is to be in care.
    It also specifies how they're met all the criteria under; the Mental Capacity Act, Article 5 (1) of the European Convention on Human Rights.... list goes on, all of which was submitted to the MCA DoLS Team Manager who approved the decision.
    Nobody's going to make the decision your aunt doesn't need to be in a care home unless she actually doesn't which I'm sure isn't the case, it's just an independent confirmation that everyone's acting in your aunt's best interest specially if she expresses a wish not to be there irrespective of how impossible this may be.
    K

4. 99purdy

99purdy Registered User

Oct 31, 2014
    Hi,

You can request that you are appointed your loved ones Relevant Person’s Representative (RRP) I asked my local DOLS team and they were prepared to allow this to happen. They send you all relevant guides and they instruct a 39D IMCA ( Advocate) to support you in your role. You get copies of all assessments undertaken during the process. You do have to visit regular and check the files etc. My Dad is in an excellent home so we communicate very closely on all his treatment. The DOLS are usually renewed every 12 months. The renewal this year was very straight forward, visit from the Doctor and member of the DOLS TEAM. After a consultation with them they decided I no longer needed the input from a 39D IMCA. Hope this helps.

5. Normaleila

Normaleila Registered User

Jun 4, 2016
    Thank you all for very useful advice. I can now reassure my sister. I think she's just terrified that my aunt's DOLS would end - but my aunt wouldn't be capable of leaving the home now anyway.