1. monron

monron Registered User

Dec 30, 2016
    if my wife is made subject to DOLS, will I be able to take her out for a drive as she is looking forward to it. Ron

2. LadyA

LadyA Registered User

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    Yes. A DOLS (Deprivation of Liberty, Safeguarding) Order is par for the course for someone in residential care. Otherwise, your wife could just say that she was leaving, and the Care Home would have no legal right to prevent her, whether it was safe to allow her out to wander off alone or not. There should be no problem taking her out, as long as you let the staff know.

3. monron

monron Registered User

Dec 30, 2016
    Thank you Lady A, that's a relief. Ron

4. Juliasdementiablog

Juliasdementiablog Registered User

Oct 23, 2017
    Female
    Brighton
    The Deprivation of Liberty Safeguard is for your wife's protection. It is part of the Mental Capacity Act 2005, and it is reviewed annually to ensure that she isn't being restricted unnecessarily. You can read more about it on Social Care Institute for Excellence's wonderful website https://www.scie.org.uk/mca/dols/at-a-glance.

5. Lou16

Lou16 New member

Jan 24, 2018
    Female
    Yes of course u can, I use to take my grandma out and also her friend in the care Home who had no family and we use to take them both for coffee. She’s still your wife and although the physical caring side goes when there in a home you still have the job of making sure she’s okay, they can’t take all the responsibility away because you’d still want to be involved.

Hope this helps
    Lou

6. Diannie

Diannie Registered User

Jun 2, 2015
    I have exactly the same question. Thank you. That’s a relief to know