DoLS query

Chaplin

May 24, 2015
Bristol
Hi, mum had a stroke on Good Friday and was taken to hospital from her care home who have now refused to have her back. Although we were initially upset by this worrying about her having to move elsewhere, we are now glad she’s not returning. The standards have been allowed to slide while we’ve been locked out this past year, so much so I think some of her needs have been neglected. That’s now with the LA Safeguarding Team.
Her dementia has taken a massive nosedive and she is utterly confused. At the old care home, there was a DoLS in place. Will that still exist in the hospital even though she couldn’t walk out and will a new assessment have to be undertaken once we find a new care home for her. Any advice would be welcome.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Dols isnt usually an assesment, more a '' we need to keep her safe'' statement.

I believe a new Dols would be drawn up in each placement/establishment.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Sorry to hear about your mum @Chaplin My understanding is that Deprivation of Liberty Safeguarding authorisations are specific to one location. Hence when my wife moved to full time care the DoLS for her respite care in a different place was ended. A new authorisation was required for her current home. This involved her being seen by qualified social work and medical professionals and completion of best interests paperwork.

Specifically in your case, the DoLS for the previous care home will not cover the hospital setting or any new care home. It is likely that the new care home will apply for DoLS authorisation. This is standard practice for the purpose of safeguarding residents. I hope that this helps.

Chaplin

May 24, 2015
Bristol
Sorry to hear about your mum @Chaplin My understanding is that Deprivation of Liberty Safeguarding authorisations are specific to one location. Hence when my wife moved to full time care the DoLS for her respite care in a different place was ended. A new authorisation was required for her current home. This involved her being seen by qualified social work and medical professionals and completion of best interests paperwork.

Specifically in your case, the DoLS for the previous care home will not cover the hospital setting or any new care home. It is likely that the new care home will apply for DoLS authorisation. This is standard practice for the purpose of safeguarding residents. I hope that this helps.
Thanks for your reply, this is what I thought but wanted to check. Could I trouble you for some further advice please? We have never seen mum’s care plan from her last home even though we asked several times pre Covid restrictions. I understand we can ask the home for a copy but is there a time limit on this? Thanks

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
We have never seen mum’s care plan from her last home even though we asked several times pre Covid restrictions. I understand we can ask the home for a copy
Do you have either written consent from your mum to be fully involved in her care or a H&W LPA?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
They give you authority to ask and not be met with 'it's patient confidential'.
You should be treated as if she was asking.