Dols expiry

Georgeava

Jun 22, 2019
Hi
My mum is currently in a care home after my dad suffered carer breakdown. She is a permanent resident and has dols authorised. It was awarded for a period of 4 months and is due to expire soon. The IMCA said she was only awarding it for 4 months as she was unsure whether my mum was a 'true objector'. Obviously when asked my mum wanted to go home but she doesnt mention this at any other time and is happy to return after outings etc. I dont think the care home need to reapply at present. Do we just leave it to expire and not reapply. If it helps I am RPR.
Thank you

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Note that the S in DolS, it's safeguarding
Without it the care home have no authority to prevent your mum wandering outside in her nightie, legally they can only obstruct. There are other examples.
I would go for it's reinstatement.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Surely it's up to the care home to make the decision? I would expect them to reapply for it automatically.

But in practical terms, I am not sure how much it matters. My mother has been in her care home nearly two years and she still hasn't had her DoLS (it was applied for but there is a backlog and they are still waiting). She isn't at all interested in leaving - she doesn't follow me to the door when I leave and I don't think the concept of leaving enters her head, it's her home now. I was told when she arrived that if there is a sudden problem they can apply for an emergency DoLS.