DoLS and coroner problems

JackMac

Jun 26, 2010
west midlands
Hi

My mum passed away 8 weeks ago due to end stage dementia. It was a very difficult time and I was more devastated than I could have imagined. I thought I might just feel relief for her but of course it's not that easy. What came after added to our grief.

We were unaware but she was subject to a DoLS (deprivation of liberty) which means this automatically goes to the coroner. As it was Easter we only found this out a week after her death when we went to register the death. We had booked the funeral for 3 and a half weeks after her passing. Anyway, we then tried to contact the coroners office to get whatever paperwork we needed from them to go ahead with the funeral. And here's where the hell began!!! Many calls and emails sent and they ignored every single one! The funerals director also tried and even the home where mum had been a resident. All ignored too.

I contacted our local councillor and he got in touch with someone at the DoLS team. She was great but they ignored her calls too!!!!

I ended up going to their office, my two young children in tow and crying in reception! They didn't come out to see me but sent a message to say it would all be sorted in time for the funeral.
i didn't realise at the time but the lady from the DoLS team had gone there too in desperation. She discovered we had to attend the inquest a few days later....something we had no idea we had to do! Eventually someone from the coroners office called and said everyone on the DoLS register had an inquest and in every case a family member has to attend. She said don't worry as it's very informal.
We arrived at the inquest and walked in and it was a court room!!!! I had to answer questions about mum after taking an oath! Very simple questions like 'What was your mum's condition like in the last 3 months?'
Nothing they couldn't get from doctors and nurses who saw mum. It was extremely emotional to go through this. And certainly not informal!!

I just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience?
I feel very strongly that it's wrong that families have to deal with this. I understand the need for DoLS. But the coroner problems are terrible and add to our grief. If I find it's a common problem in the UK then I plan to try and do something about it.

It may just be Coventry where we live.

Thanks

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"It may just be Coventry where we live. "

It looks as if it is, at least one other LA takes a more lenient view of the legalities when a DOLs is in force.

The Coroner will issue an interim death certificate so that the burial/cremation can go ahead and this can be used to inform other agencies E.g. Banks and Building Society...
...The Coroner will hold an inquest and family members will be approached to provide a witness statement should they wish to do so.

http://www.oldham.gov.uk/info/200807/mental_health/1460/deprivation_of_liberty_safeguards/2

Last edited:

Hair Twiddler

Aug 14, 2012
Middle England
I agree with Nitram, not all Coroner's act as your Coventry one did. May I suggest that when you feel up to it that you write a short account of what happened, similar to the one you posted here and send it to the Chief Coroner - His Honour Judge Peter Thornton, this post is a relatively new one, I do hope that he will not ignore your experience and he has very considerable powers to boot.

JackMac

Jun 26, 2010
west midlands
Thank you. I will do that. We have made a complaint to our coroners office. I said to my sister who wrote the complaint I would put money on them ignoring that too. Sure enough they have denied all knowledge of even receiving the complaint!

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
My husband died just under 8 weeks ago and he too had a DOLS in place and the Coroner was involved. He died Easter Saturday.

Our Son rang the Coroner's Office and was dealt with with curtesy and kindness. He spoke at length with them, answering questions about his Dad and his care. They then spoke to my husband's Doctor and the nursing staff at the home. We then collected an interim death certificate and the funeral director could take our instructions re the funeral. The funeral was the 15th of April.

We received a letter from the Court giving us a date of the hearing which was last week. We did not need to attend but our Son went as we had planned to go together but the date was while I was away. It took around 25 minutes and the Coroner was again kind and considerate and used my husband's shortened name . He actually went to our son at the end to offer his condolences to both of us and thanked him for attending.

So civilised and straight forward which is what you need at a time like this. I live just across your county border.

JackMac

Jun 26, 2010
west midlands
Thanks for sharing your experience and I'm so glad it was better than ours as I wouldn't wish ours on anyone.

The admin staff at the coroners office told my sister EVERY case jas to be attended by a family member. About 3 different people who work in homes etc. told us this is rubbish so we are also awaiting an explanation as to why we had to attend. Mum was seen by many doctors and nurses on the days leading up to her death. Her death wasn't sudden.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Thanks for sharing your experience and I'm so glad it was better than ours as I wouldn't wish ours on anyone.

The admin staff at the coroners office told my sister EVERY case jas to be attended by a family member. About 3 different people who work in homes etc. told us this is rubbish so we are also awaiting an explanation as to why we had to attend. Mum was seen by many doctors and nurses on the days leading up to her death. Her death wasn't sudden.

Well that is definitely not the case. Our Letter stated that attendance was not necessary. The volunteer usher at the court said that the Coroner would be pleased to see our Son as not many relatives did attend. It was as well he did attend as the doctor had stated that my husband developed dementia in 2012 which was wrong as that was when he took over the care of my husband when he entered the nursing home. Our Son was able to put that right, the date was actually 2005.

My husband like your Mum was in the late stages of the disease and had returned from hospital to the nursing home with end of life care in place. He died less than three hours after returning.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
I know of a similar situation in our area. A lady who was subject to a DoLS passed away - not unexpectedly - and there had to be an inquest attended by the family. As far as I'm aware the family were treated with courtesy by the coroner's office, but it caused significant delays in organising the funeral and dealing with her estate.

I suspect that procedures for dealing with people subject to DoLS who pass away have not yet been properly formulated. It does need resolving, but in the meantime there is no excuse for the coroner's office adding to your grief and stress at such a time.

mrsnewbs

Jun 2, 2016
Coroner Problems

Hi

We fortunately didn't have quite the same problems you did. I'm so sorry to hear you had to go through that. We have had a similar problem though, my Gran's death due to dementia (her swallow reflex had gone and she hadn't eaten in 35 days) had to go through the coroner as she wasn't seen by a GP within the 2 weeks up to her death. That in itself was fine but the coroner was apparently notoriously difficult, he put her death down to Old Age and that she had an underlying problem of dementia.

We're so upset and angry as that just does not reflect what she has been through. The GP also said that they didn't agree but that without us appealing it (which would lead to a potentially long delay which my elderly Grandfather couldn't have coped with), there wasn't anything we can do.

It's so saddening what some Coroners are ignorant to. I'm sorry they were ignorant to your pain.

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
Hi

We fortunately didn't have quite the same problems you did. I'm so sorry to hear you had to go through that. We have had a similar problem though, my Gran's death due to dementia (her swallow reflex had gone and she hadn't eaten in 35 days) had to go through the coroner as she wasn't seen by a GP within the 2 weeks up to her death. That in itself was fine but the coroner was apparently notoriously difficult, he put her death down to Old Age and that she had an underlying problem of dementia.

We're so upset and angry as that just does not reflect what she has been through. The GP also said that they didn't agree but that without us appealing it (which would lead to a potentially long delay which my elderly Grandfather couldn't have coped with), there wasn't anything we can do.

It's so saddening what some Coroners are ignorant to. I'm sorry they were ignorant to your pain.

Hello and welcome to TP

My mum's death certificate (issued by a local GP) also said Old Age with underlying dementia.

I remember picking it up and standing in the reception area, actually shocked at such a dismissive statement. It seemed a lazy cop out to me.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
OHs said 1) chest infection plus old age, 2) dementia. I remember thinking that if he didn't have dementia he wouldn't have a chest infection. Hang on, what chest infection? I'd seen him everyday for the last week of his life and nobody mentioned chest infection to me. And I had POA health. Three months earlier he'd had a chest infection, which had been treated. No info on this chest infection.
Note that he was so bad by then anyway, I would not have given abs.

It rankles, even now. But what was the point in complaining or trying to find out more? I was in bad enough state as it was!
Apparently the gp had been trying to get in touch with me, but finally got an answer from funeral director. I've never known what that was about, but grateful everything went ahead as soon as possible.

Sorry, got away from point of thread and had a rant! My apologies!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976