Doll therapy

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I saw that. To be honest, I don't know why some people have any problem with doll therapy. As we know, the aim when caring for someone with dementia is to give them some quality of life, and allow them as much peace, contentment etc. as it is possible for them to have. If "caring" for a doll allows them to have that - why would you not? I know Truth24 has had a lot of success since introducing a baby doll to her husband Fred in his care home. It has made a world of difference to him.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
I would like to try doll therapy with my mam, but dad has reservations. He worries that when the doll doesn't respond, that mam will think it's a dead baby and become distressed. I think he has a valid point but that we won't know unless we try, but I can't convince him.

She does have a soft cuddly teddy that belonged to my daughter, which she ignores, mostly.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Not quite the same, but my mum was given a rag doll hot water bottle by a friend of mine. She immediately sat it on her lap and said "now you sit here by me, that's it now". I will be interested to see whether she keeps up this feeling....if she likes it, I think I may try a more realistic doll for her :)