Doll Therapy

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Hi all

Some more advice, if you don't mind?

Mam's CPN has suggested that we buy her a doll to care for. Now I know a lot of you are experienced with this, and so I wondered what sort of doll would be best?

What size? Life-size baby doll maybe? Hard bodied, soft bodied, baby doll, removable or fixed clothes, etc? Blanket/shawl for wrapping, etc?

Any thoughts gratefully received :)

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Hiya CG,

The one we got was a baby doll with a vinyl body, our thought being that if it gets passed around etc it can be wiped clean. It also had changes of clothes too as well as a blanket to keep it warm. I wouldn't spend a lot of money because you will find that it becomes attractive to others and can get thrown etc if someone gets angry.

If your mum tends to pace a lot then you can make a sling out of a scarf so she can carry the doll with her.

I hope your mum gets as much pleasure from the doll as ours did.

Another thing you can do to test if the doll will interest her or not is get one from a charity shop.

Fiona

virg

Jan 13, 2010
cheshire
I offered my Mum a doll and she looked at me like I'd gone mad. Here's hoping you have more success.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Thanks Fiona, that's very helpful, a charity shop is a really good idea!

Virg, I know what you mean, that's a distinct possibility. But we did try a teddy a while ago and apparently she has started to take an interest in it.

I'm reasonably hopeful about a doll, because mam was always typical of her star sign, Cancer, nurturing, a home maker, etc, and has always adored babies and children.

Fingers crossed.

jude50

Dec 28, 2011
Cardiff
When Mum was in hospital just before she died she became very agitated. I bought her a toy cat which she talked to and stroked like a real cat. It helped her so much and calmed her right down and the nurses were able to talk to Mum using the cat as a topic of conversation

Jude

angelface

Oct 8, 2011
london
I was wondering about the toy cat.

On visiting auntie yesterday, I found she has adopted a little toy dog. Auntie loves cats, and the CH have two real ones.

If I buy her a life size toy cat, will she get confused by thinking it is alive? And back to the doll therapy, Auntie loved the toy doll I got her, but took all its clothes off:D

G

jude50

Dec 28, 2011
Cardiff
mum did say to me once that was the cat real because it didn't move much and I just said oh it's a lovely cat though and she was satisfied with that and carried on stroking it and saying how lovely it was. I wasn't distressed by this response at all because Mum loved our cats at home and it was a comfort to her

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
I once visited a care home where one resident with dementia was bought
an extremely lifelike baby to cuddle. She and the doll were practically inseparable. One day however someone else was holding the doll and accidentally dropped it on the floor. The original resident was inconsolable because she thought the baby had been killed. You do have to be a bit careful, I think, that things don't go pear shaped.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I'm reasonably hopeful about a doll, because mam was always typical of her star sign, Cancer, nurturing, a home maker, etc, and has always adored babies and children.
Dhiren is a cancer star sign , also nurturing and believing the home to be important. I took him a teddy and he was thrilled, but sadly forgot about it and let it fall.
I hope a doll helps your mum more CG.

danny

Sep 9, 2009
cornwall/real name is Angela
Hi, we use a variety of dolls. This one is a favourite. It is a `re born `. They come with a health warning that they have magnets in and to avoid contact with people with pacemakers !!!!! Some people think baby Fin is real and the ones that are aware he is a doll still love him.

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    242.9 KB · Views: 1,276

susana53

Mar 15, 2010
Littlehampton, West Sussex
I use dolls and cuddly toys with my groups and on the whole they are a great success. There are some extremely expensive really life like dolls available but they are extremely expensive. My ladies are happy with any dolls that they can dress and undress. I got mine from car boot sales but you can also try freecycle if there is one local to you.

Sunbell

Jul 29, 2010
Yorkshire, England
I started doll therapy with my mum a few months ago when she was becoming very unsettled again in the care home.

I quietly took the doll from my bag and started to cuddle it and talk to it. Mum asked whose baby was it and I said my daughters but she needed to work and had nobody to look after it, I said 'Do you fancy helping look after him mum?' Well instantly she wanted to give him a cuddle and started talking baby talk to him (she believes he is a real baby).

I don't know how we would cope with mum now without it. It is her baby, she tries to feed it, give it drinks (unfortunately the dolls clothes are always messed up with coffee and custard;) and we go through wet wipes for cleaning him by the dozen!.

I got an all vinyl doll without real hair so it can easily be wiped and doesn't matter if it gets wet (the soft bodied ones could become smelly and grubby with drinks and food!)
I knit jumpers and leggings which can easily be washed through or you can get clothes from charity shops or e bay.

Mum would not get into her bed at night (she thought someone/thing was in it) but now baby lies there beside her so it solved that problem too.

This week mum has had to go into a new NH and is very very distressed but the doll is still there being cuddled amongst her tears and angry episodes with everyone in sight (except baby of course:),

I do hope the doll therapy will help with your mum. I think the key is how you introduce the baby to her in a casual way and try involve her in the baby conversation.

Don't spend a lot of money on an expensive doll, the one we have is about 12/13 inches tall and originally I bought it for my grandaughter for about £5.

Good luck and will be thinking of you, please let us know how you get on with it.

Sunbell:) xx